Chapter Three

And there I was. Sitting on the edge of the pool, staring into the water. Ellie was trying to coax me in. Coach Batter was standing on the side with his arms crossed. He didn't think I could do it. Honestly, I didn't think so either.

"Come on, Darcy," Ellie whispered, leaning forward.

I shook my head numerous times. There was no way. I'd never needed to swim before. Why did I have to now? "Coach Batter. I want a different assignment."

Coach shook his balding head. "To get your grade up you have to learn how to swim.

"I guess I'm going to fail school then." I scooted away from the edge and stood up. I looked down at Ellie. Her eyes were disappointed and sad. I sucked in a sharp breath. Shoot. Everybody just knew how to pull my strings. Especially her. Wrinkling my nose, I sat back down and slid into the water before I could change my mind again. Ellie was smiling now. "Happy?" I asked.

"Yes. Dunk your head under the water."

"Are you joking?" My lip curled as I looked into her eyes. I didn't want to submerge my head in that death machine.

"It is not going to hurt you, Darcy. We're in the shallow end."

"I don't like the look of it. It's just waiting to pull me down." I smiled, trying to lighten the mood. Truthfully, I was terrified. But I couldn't let Coach or Ellie know that. Ellie probably did know but not Coach. My heart was beating wildly as I looked into the clear water that came up to my waist. I wasn't sure why I was so afraid of the water. But I was.

"You drink water all the time. And you take showers. How is this different?"

"Woah." I held up my hands. "It's so different. It's like a miniature ocean. What if the tile just decides to crumble beneath my feet?" I made a face.

"Darcy." Ellie's hand was in front of me. "Do you trust me?"

I looked at her hand and then into her clear, blue eyes. Too much like the water. I did trust her though. I wondered if she trusted me. I wanted to ask her. "Yeah."

"Then take my hand." Her right eyebrow quirked. "I won't let you drown."

"Promise?" I felt so childish, but I couldn't help it. The fear was overwhelming, closing in on me.

"I promise." She placed a hand over her heart and extended the other to me.

I took it in mine and felt immediately warmer and safer. Weird, huh? You'd think I'd be the one making her feel safe. But, no.

"Okay," she breathed, "go under."

I clenched my jaw, took a deep breath through my nose and went under for a second. My brain screamed that what I was doing was nonsense, but I didn't listen. I held on to her hand and then popped out of the water.

"See?" She was grinning. Actually grinning. "That wasn't so bad."

I attempted a smile. I felt a little better, but I was still extremely freaked out. I could totally feel the chlorine seeping into my bloodstream. Just imagine it: Darcy Cedar Wood la Van, Fish Man. I shivered and flicked the image away.

"Are you okay?"

"Perfectly fine." Nope.

"I don't see much swimming going on!" Coach Batter yelled.