Chapter 2: Back To School Special

Chapter 2

 A Loud creak echoes through the apartment's empty hallways as I let the door click shut behind me. The place had long since become quiet for the night as the rooms were plunged into a void of darkness. But of course not all its residents were fast asleep. As I enter into the living room a shadow becomes visible out of the corner of my eye and I hardly have to glaze towards the man to understand who would stay up this late, waiting around for me. I don't look back or exchange greetings with the boy that sits impatiently on one of the incredible uncomfortable sofa seats. Instead I head towards the kitchen and reach into the wine rack for a glass bottle. 

"Care for a drink?" I call out, not bothering to keep myself from waking up the rest of the house guests. The dark shadow lengthens across the wall as Ethan stands to face me, a worried expression etched deeply across his face. 

"Where have you been?" He side steps my earlier question. But I only brush off his poorly executed interrogation and instead I give the cork on the wine bottle a quick twist, letting it come undone beneath my grip. I open one of the wooden cabinets and pull out two champagne glasses. "Answer me." he demands causing me to laugh. I set the glasses down and pour a average amount of the alcohol into them. 

"Here, I hope you like red over white." I hand him the wine and with a few grunts of refusal, he eventually takes it. 

I lift the glass in a gesture of cheers but Ethan does not join in and instead watches closely as I drink the substance down all at once. I lift my eyes back to his to see a disapproving look in return. 

"Aren't you a little young to be drinking?" I wanted to say he was joking, but his tone suggests this whole situation was no laughing matter.

 "Not if you count in dog years." I smile and reach to pour myself another glass but Ethan's quicker, grabbing it from my hands. 

"I think you've had enough for one night." He snaps, slamming the bottle down on the table, far enough out of my reach.

 "Ethan, why are you making such a big deal out of one drink. We are intolerable to alcohol, you know?" I roll my eyes. Why did he always feel the need to be responsible for keeping me in check. None of the other alphas gave a crap about what I did on my down time, why couldn't he be the same.

"It's not just about the drinking, it's everything else. It's the staying out late, and coming home smelling of liquor and blood. It's your attitude and the way you've been acting lately. Whatever Deucalion said to you that night in the woods changed you Lucy, and I want to know why." His brown eyes stare daggers at me but I don't flinch. 

"Sorry mom, I didn't know I had to keep you updated on what I was doing every hour." My mocking tone dripping in sarcasm as I open the fridge and pull out the leftover stake from dinner. 

"I'm going to ask again. Where were you?" Ethan should have known better. The moment he threatened to go against me, this whole alliance I had created with his pack would be broken. The only logical thing to do was to put him in his place before this dominance he thought he had over me got out of hand. I reach inside one of the drawers and pull out a small, silver knife from among the silverware and watch as it glints in the moonlight that dares to escape through the window's curtains. He waits for me to use it on the plate of meat laying before me, but instead I lash out. In a blur of movements Ethan howls in pain as I dig the cutlery into his hand.

 I pull him in close causing him to lean in over the table. "Listen to me Ethan and listen to me close. I am here to help your pack succeed in taking down Derek's pack, nothing else. You people are not my family, nor my friends. I have none of that anymore. So you will understand when I tell you what I do beyond these walls are none of yours or anyone business. And the next time you so much as look at me the wrong way, I will shove that knife somewhere you will never heal. Do I make myself clear?" I raise a eyebrow but he refuses to respond or look me in the eye. So I take the handle of the knife and dig it in a little deeper. "Do you understand?" I say a little louder to make sure he hears me correctly.