Chapter 9

Natasha Romanof’s a.k.a Black Widow’s P.O.V.

I awoke with a start, hissing in pain as my side throbbed. Hand on hand combat I could handle, but when it came to taser’s... I realized back talking to the guards would get me nowhere. 

Pushing myself into a sitting position I surveyed the room, looking for what had awoken me. I wished I hadn’t as soon as I spotted him

Loki stood in a corner of the room, emerald eyes glowing in the darkness. A small sphere of green light was the only thing illuminating the room. I couldn’t tell if I preferred this eerie glow to the darkness. 

What do you want?” I growled, hopping from the bed to stand in the opposite corner. The small sphere continued it’s slow orbit around the room, passing Loki’s face every few seconds and highlighting the grim set of his mouth. 

Speak!” I roared, every muscle tensing in preparation for an attack. 

“Don’t test me, human. I don’t take kindly to orders,” he spat, the sphere expanding until the whole room was bathed in the green light. 

Loki was still in his traditional Asgardian gear, the ensemble no less menacing than before. 

“Why are you here?” I asked, my tone lighter but no less threatening. I could not let him gain the upper hand. 

“I brought this down upon you, did I not? Why would I not be here?” he mocked, but he did not smile. His jaw was tense, his eyes sharp, and his posture stone like. 

We stared one another down, sizing up our opponent, until Loki finally spoke again. 

“They are not aware that I am in your chambers,” he said, gesturing toward the door with a tilt of his head. 

A tendril of fear crawled up my spine at this information, but his expression had me confused. It was almost like...he was trying to make me at ease with this new knowledge. 

“I’ll ask again: Why. Are. You. Here?” I made sure to enunciate every word, hoping I’d get a straight answer. 

“Not completely of my own validity, I assure you,” he drawled, confusing me further. “I only have a limited amount of time before my absence becomes noticeable.” In two long strides he was standing before me, his imposing form forcing me further back into the corner. I knew if I lashed out like I wanted to, it wasn’t a fight I’d likely win. 

“I will ask you once, mortal, to not question what I am about to tell you. I will only give directions once and I will not repeat them because I am not keen on wasting my breath.”

“Wha–”

“I am fully aware of your acting abilities,” he stated, and a flash of the interrogation I’d given him flitted through my mind, “and if you ever hope to leave here, I need you to make what I am about to do look as real as possible. Understood?” 

I scrutinized my enemy for a minute, my mind whirring as I tried to process why he’d help me and what exactly he needed me to do. I knew Loki couldn’t be trusted. He’d proven that time and time again. But there wasn’t like I had much left to lose. I could take this risk and escape this hell, or rot here for an interminable length of time. The decision was easy. 

“I don’t trust you and I don’t like you. You betray me and I will find a way to kill you, someday, somehow. I understand your terms and I hope you understand mine,” I quipped, crossing my arms over my chest. 

And for the first time since he entered, a smile stretched across Loki’s thin lips. It was purely arctic, holding no joy at my acquiescence.  

“Thank you for your cooperation,” he said, quoting my words from a year ago. My lip quirked up in a half snarl. 

“What have I gotten myself into?”

Clint Barton’s a.k.a. Hawkeye’s P.O.V. 

I cursed as the jet hit another bout of turbulence. My bow dug into my arm, arrows whipping me in the back of the head. 

“Learn how to fly!” I shouted at the pilot, the agent casting me a fearful glance before turning back toward the controls. 

“Cool it, Barton,” Fury ordered from his seat across from me. We’d been in the jet for all of twenty minutes and I was ready to tear the head off of the clearly inexperienced pilot. 

“I could get us there in an hour,” I grumbled, leaning my head against the wall. 

“And potentially get us all killed with your reckless, emotional driving,” Tony said, raising his hands in surrender when I shot him a death glare. He was one to talk about reckless driving. 

Enough you two. We’ll be there in an hour and a half. I’d get us there now if I could, but I can’t. I want my team back as much as you do. Save your energy for the real fight,” he said, giving us both the stink eye. 

I sighed, knowing Fury was right. When we got to the base I was going to tear apart anyone that got in my way. That organization already took Calypso from us, but I’d be damned if they took Natasha too.