Chapter 3

Natasha Romanof a.k.a Black Widow’s 

I sighed, pushing the steaming cup of coffee toward the center of the table. My stomach growled, but I ignored it. Just the thought of food made me scrunch up my nose in disgust. I glanced toward the entrance of the small cafe, the hotels lobby in plain sight. I wondered what was taking Steve so long. He said he’d be down here ten minutes ago...

I huffed, slouching back into the stiff chair. 

How could he be so sure that she was alive? How could he have so much hope? Clint had told me about the message she’d asked him to relay to me:

“Tell Nat that I’m sorry.”

Originally I’d assumed that she was sorry for bringing the agency down upon our heads, but now I was beginning to question that. I was beginning to question everything. 

I ran a hand down my face in resignation, waving off the waitress as she came over to refill my cup. 

My head snapped up when the elevator bell chimed, the sound easily heard through the soft ballad of 90’s music playing from the speakers above. Steve came into view a moment later, looking equally disheveled as myself. His shirt was partway untucked, his slacks crumpled and wrinkled. One shoe was untied but he hardly seemed to notice. Bags lined the skin beneath his eyes, his hair splayed out messily across his forehead. 

He nodded at me as he sank into the seat opposite, quickly downing my untouched drink after a look of go ahead from me. 

“What should we do?” I questioned, as soon as the cup had left his lips.  

“That’s just it,” he said, turning his eyes briefly to look out of a bay window, “I have no idea how to find her.” 

“What about the computers at S.H.I.E.L.D.? They’re bound to have some information on them, right?” I exclaimed, though the suggestion immediately fell flat. What would the systems have that could help with this kind of search? Steve noticed my dubious look and he nodded in agreement, crossing his arms as he thought. 

“The incident with Loki... it still doesn’t sit right with me,” he murmured, staring at a few stray crumbs littered the tabletop. 

“He nearly killed her! It doesn’t sit right with me either,” I snapped, mimicking his posture. 

“No, I mean- It seems that there was something she left out when she’d told me what happened. She was gone for far too long to only have talked about one thing. The times don’t add up and neither do the reasons,” he explained, gaining more confidence with his assumptions as he spoke. 

I thought back on it, realizing that he was right. Six hours to only speak of how to avoid a group of humans? A gruesome thought passed through my mind at what could have possibly happened in that period of time but I banished it as soon as it had materialized. I wouldn’t do that do myself. 

“Then what are you implying?” I asked, thinking hard about her...death...and Loki’s sudden appearance. What was the connection?

“I don’t know but there has to be a correlation between the two. I know S.H.I.E.L.D. has some information on Loki and his background. We could go retrieve that then make plans from there,” he stated, in full Captain mode. 

“Alright,” I acceded, pushing myself to my feet. 

“Did you eat yet?” Steve inquired, hesitating in half standing, half sitting position. 

“No time,” I said, already marching toward the exit. I hear him begin to follow, before his footsteps faded. By the time I turned he was already on his way back to me, two muffins from the buffet wrapped in a napkin. I chuckled, smiling lightly at his gentlemanly behavior. Even broken hearted, he still found it in himself to be polite. If only I could share that trait.