Torn Apart

Son of an Orc! How dare he limit the ways of war to men?

Emryn was walking in blind rage, not caring where her feet took her. 'War is the province of men' my ass. She continued walking until she tripped over a stone and fell against a wall of stone. 

Muttering curses, she picked herself up and looked around to see that she was now by the side of the mountain, behind the last row of tents in the upper camp. Her only companions were a few horses and a rider snoring in one of the tents.

A horse nickered to her left, and she whirled around to see Eomer walk out from between the rows of tents.

"Emryn, look, I-" he began, but Emryn cut him off.

"You've said quite enough, Marshall. You do not need to explain yourself; you made your opinion clear," she said scathingly, and made to storm off again.

"Emryn, wait!" Eomer near shouted, and her feet paused below her, though her mind screamed at them to continue moving. "Hear me out," he pleaded, and Emryn turned toward him once more, still fixing him with an icy gaze.

"And why should I? So you can continue to insult me and all I've worked for?" She scoffed. "I do not desire to be berated."

"I had no intention of insulting you, Emryn. I was simply pointing out that Eowyn cannot fight-" he started, before being interrupted once again by Emryn.

"Cannot? Or won't be allowed to?" She questioned. "I have seen Eowyn wield a sword, and she does it better than many men. Why shouldn't she fight?"

"Because she's my sister! I will not have her on a battlefield lest she get killed!" He shot back, and Emryn rolled her eyes.

"You think she is the only one who can be killed? Anyone can die on a battlefield, the strongest warrior, even a king! Just because she's a woman doesn't make it more likely to happen!" Emryn shouted back, her frustration mounting. This culture used to have courageous Shieldmaidens! Now women are confined to the home?

"It is not her place to fight with the men. It is her duty to be home at Edoras leading the people in case we fail!" Eomer replied angrily, stepping closer to Emryn with every sentence.

"Her duty? Her duty is to her people, Eomer, to defend them, but it is also to her heart. She has the heart of a warrior! Eowyn has desired this her whole life!" Emryn spoke with passion now, but a voice in the back of her head wondered if she was still talking about Eowyn.

"I will not see my sister hurt, Emryn. I do not care what she thinks," Eomer said sternly, and Emryn let out a disbelieving laugh.

"You think my brother wants to see me hurt? Aragorn loathes the fact that I step out onto a battlefield, but he does not forbid it because he trusts I can handle myself. Do you not trust your sister?" Emryn asked, daring him to say no.

"I do not trust that she won't follow your example and go rushing blindly into battle!" Eomer said heatedly, and Emryn's jaw clenched.

"So this is about me, is it? Do you honestly expect me to sit patiently off to the side, waiting for you lot to return? I think not!"

"Yes, I believe you should return to Edoras with Eowyn," Eomer said, his voice back to its normal volume. The two were now just feet apart. "Stay safe behind the wall."

Emryn couldn't believe what she was hearing. Does he know what he's saying!? "Why would you ask that of me, Eomer? You know I would never sit behind a wall while there's a battle to be fought!"