A Change of Plans

EDITED 6-25-17

     The next few weeks Emryn spent largely with the Fellowship; training the hobbits, speaking with Gimli (who, once started on dwarven works, is hard to shut up, she soon realized), shooting with Legolas, and sparring with Aragorn and Boromir. It was Frodo she spent the least amount of time with, as the Ring made her head ache, a whisper in the back of her head, calling. When she wasn't with them, Emryn was with Lilethwyn, though she was often with Haldir.

He's always so stuck up, she thought to herself as she made her way to Haldir's flet, where she was to join him, Lilethwyn, and Haldir's brothers for dinner. She knocked on the door and smoothed down her silver dress as she waited. It was Rumil who opened the door, a wide smile on his face. He was nearly identical to Haldir, but his face was softer. And kinder, Emryn thought.

"Mae govannen, Calad," Rumil greeted as he closed the door behind her.

"Mae govannen Rumil! How are you? It's been some time," Emryn replied, walking to the dining table. Rumil had been one of the elves who traveled with her on her move from Rivendell to Lothlorien. At the table she noticed Lilethwyn laughing with Haldir, her cheeks flushed, and Emryn couldn't help but smile. "Thank you for having me Haldir," she said, smirking as he jumped slightly. He's completely besotted. It's a wonder Lilethwyn hasn't noticed.

"Of course. Lilethwyn insisted, and I couldn't turn down a chance to dine with my favorite mortal," he replied, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "How fares the Fellowship?" He asked, more seriously this time.

"Well enough. They are more at peace, though the death of Gandalf still lies heavily on their hearts," Emryn stated, thinking of the bright, wise eyes of the wizard. Oh, how she missed him. "Aragorn believes they are to depart soon, though. He hopes to move on, and continue the quest with all haste."

"Do you intend to go with them?" Orophin, the eldest brother, who hadn't spoken till now, asked, curious. She hadn't spoken much with Orophin, but he was kind enough when they did.

"I...," she began, but didn't know how to continue. She hadn't asked Aragorn yet, but in her heart she knew she wished to. Her one chance to go on an adventure, to do something in this world. Aragorn would refuse, of course, but perhaps if she spoke to the Lady... "I have yet to speak to the Lady Galadriel, yet I intend to, yes." She knew she would, she had to.

Lilethwyn then spoke up. "Would your brother even let you? You're his only family after all." She was clearly distressed at this announcement, though for her part she tried to hide it.

"He doesn't command my actions!" Emryn snapped. "I need to leave, to do something. Whether or not Aragorn likes it I'm going, the Lady willing. Even if I have to trail behind them so they remain unaware of my presence I will go," she stated, though without the edge of her former comment. "I'm already 87 years old. Almost half my life has gone away, and here I remain, a bird locked in a gilded cage. Elrond declared that I couldn't leave unless need or duty call. It's my duty to defend my people, whether or not they're aware of that fact."

"Then we support you, and pray that the Valar guide your path," Rumil said kindly, nodding at her. "Though you may want to consider talking to Aragorn and Lady Galadriel soon, or you just might end up tracking them anyways!"

Emryn laughed, as did everyone else. "I'll go talk with him tomorrow," she said, a determined look on her face. The rest of the evening was devoted to laughter and memories, and soon Emryn was in bed, her plan forming in her mind.

                                                                          ~.~

When she awoke the next morning, Emryn hurriedly dressed, throwing on an old tunic and leggings, ate, and ran out the door, trying not to wake Lilethwyn in the process. Not all elves are light sleepers, it would seem. When she arrived at the clearing, the only member awake was Legolas, who was tending to his knives.