28

"New Orleans seems different to what it was when I left it" Marianne brushed a comb through her hair as she looked in the mirror. Rebekah stood behind her with what she called 'modern' clothing. "It's busier than I remember"

Though she concealed it well, Marianne was quite scared. Her experience within the authorised consisted of learning how to keep to herself and conceal emotions that she thought would make her weak. If she just acted like she did before, nobody will know she faced an empty feeling eating at her insides.

"Elijah asked me about you" Rebekah laid some clothes on the bed, ready for Marianne to change.

"Don't" She refused instantly, standing from her chair, still a bit uneasy on her feet.

"He regretted what he did from the moment you fell to the floor" Rebekah ignored Marianne's plea "You didn't have to live with him after your funeral, he went off the rails. He wouldn't eat, he wouldn't sleep..."

"Rebekah I said no" Marianne shouted, her eyes filled with fire, glazed with tears. She wasn't the type to shout, she wasn't the type to be like that towards a friend, but she could not bare to listen to how Elijah is the victim. She was. "I do not want to hear about him, I do not want to hear his name"

Marianne didn't want to hear anything about him because at the mention of his name, she felt these mix of emotions that made her want to scream, shout, cry, kill.

Rebekah was thrown back by the tone she had been spoken to in. Marianne wasn't the kind to shout, but maybe she didn't really want to hear about Elijah. Maybe Rebekah needed to take her own advice and just give it time.

"I'm sorry, that was out of line" Marianne shook her head as she lifted the jeans and shirt from the bed

"No" Rebekah refused "I shouldn't be pushing this on you" Rebekah was normally the kind that wouldn't give up until she got answers or the outcome she desired. But this time, she could give up because she saw the look in Marianne's eyes when she heard his name. She was trying to fake her feelings, when the truth was, her anger was overcome by the affection. But she didn't want to show that.

"Can we just forget about boys for the moment and focus on me getting used to this life?" She asked "I've been dead for so long I'm not sure if I can do it"

"You can" Rebekah smiled "I have complete faith in you. Now get changed so I can start"

Marianne managed to squeeze herself into a pair of Rebekah's jeans. "You've torn the fabric of whatever these are" she shouted from the bathroom "can I have another?"

"They're supposed to be ripped dear" she replied

Marianne came out from the room with a blanket wrapped around her "I cannot wear any of this" she refused "it is all so strange,  I don't feel comfortable"

Rebekah huffed, rummaging through her wardrobe and drawers to pull out a red floral dress "it might be sorter than you are used to, but it's something"

Marianne took it and tried to pull the skirt down a little when it was on "it is very short"

"Settle with it, because that's all your getting" Rebekah huffed her expression turning lighter before she began to laugh "oh how I've missed you"

She gave Marianne another hug. "I have missed you too, Rebekah" she squoze before letting go "I've missed all of you, I've missed breathing"

"You are going to flourish" Rebekah smiled "now let's show them all this new you"

Marianne didn't want a newer version of herself. She much preferred the same girl she was.

Rebekah pulled on Marianne's arm as they went down stairs, eager to show her friend off to the world. Rebekah's excitement did surprise Marianne, although it really shouldn't have, they were the bestest of friends. It really showed her how much she was missed.

"Ladies and gentleman" Rebekah Called from the bottom of the stairs "I now present the modern Marianne Auclaire"

She didn't need that big of an entrance. Marianne didn't want all eyes on her for now, even if it was only a few people.

Elijah turned and stared at her. Time itself had begun to slow as he watched. Filled with adoration. It wasn't her beauty that pulled him in, though she was completely stunning. It was the way she walked into the room, her hair cascading over her face, her cheeks a rosy red from blushing.

It was the way her face looked young but her eyes could tell a thousand stories with just one stare and without uttering a single word from her red lips forming a soft grin which only Elijah could truly understand. Her being the mere definition of passion. Marianne was truly loved.

She squirmed under the stares of people Elijah called family, though Marianne knew nothing of their names. He just wanted to take her away, this could be such a terrifying time and though Rebekah means well, she just wants to show off her new/old friend, and maybe Marianne wasn't ready for that much interaction. After all, Freya did say she needed to intergrate herself in slowly; that's why they aren't talking about Tristan yet.

"Marie, this is Freya" Rebekah introduced "our older sister"

"It is a pleasure" Marianne bowed her head and curtseyed "I am Marianne Auclaire"

Freya couldn't help but smile at her old fashioned ways. Obviously this girl hadn't been taught the newer ways of being introduced, a small smile or handshake would suffice.

"It's very nice to finally meet you" Freya replied

Marianne felt Elijah's eyes burn into the back of her head. She needed to keep her calm otherwise she'd fall victim of her own urges. She would definitely hurt him if she allowed her magic and her anger to flow. She definitely didn't want that.

"can we go?" She asked Rebekah, who'd promised her that she would be given a full tour around the city.

"Sure" Rebekah smiled in return "we'll go"