23

Present day

The screams of Hope bellowed through the whole compound, echoing in Elijah's ear as he watched Hayley lift the child from the crib.

"It's like she can sense what's going on" Hayley rocked the baby until the cries dimmed. Hayley looked at Elijah and then turned away as she put her back in her crib "I swear if I could only get my hands on that egocentric vampire, I would..."

"We all would" Elijah didn't have to let Hayley finish the end of her sentence. He already knew what she was about to say. "I regret the day I turned him"

"I was going to say..." Hayley stepped away from the cot "why on earth did you turn him in the first place? Lucien told us that he was a monster from the start"

"It is a very very long and extremely complicated story, which I will have to save for another time" a time when he had the time to go through every single detail, a time where he was emotionally ready to catch the questions she would fire about the girl he had fallen for.

Hayley furrowed her eyebrows in confusion; Elijah always would tell her everything, and she knew he was hiding something.

"But for now, I say we need to..." Elijah stopped mid sentence as his supernatural senses picked up something odd happening downstairs. Hayley heard it to, both locked gaze with each other before running downstairs to see what had happened.

"Freya" he exclaimed at the sight of his older sister being helped onto a chair, her hand pressed against a very fresh and flooding wound on her neck. "What on earth happened?"

"Let's just say I struck a nerve" she said, explaining about her recent run in with Tristan. "Oh if I could kill him, I would"

"But we cannot" Rebekah interrupted "not as of yet as we don't know where the white oak or the serratura is" 

"He has hundreds of members of the strix that could avenge him" Niklaus looked around, his anger waiting to burst through, knowing he needed his calm otherwise he'd do something compulsive. "Hundreds of members that will not follow the lead of Elijah"

"And the witches exactly aren't on our side either" Freya had just drank from her brother, she wiped the blood away and thought for a moment. When she contacted the New Orleans ancestors, she had been faced with plenty of straight refusals, apart from one who did not give a definitive answer, it was like this witch shouldn't really be there. "I have an idea..." Freya spoke, jumping up. "But I doubt you will like it.

If she would have said that beforehand, Elijah would have said No. But now that Tristan has personally hurt a member of his family; Elijah would have to compromise. "Explain" he demanded.

"You and Tristan both share something, a weakness. Don't you?" She asked, seeing how Elijah tried to think, he wasn't sure which lines she would go along "when I contacted with the ancestors, I was allowed to see through a small window, a girl wasn't supposed to be there, but her magic was somehow in New Orleans soil"

"What does this have to do with helping us defeat Tristan?" Niklaus asked

"When a witch dies tragically and painfully, their magic automatically embeds itself into the ground in which they died" Freya laid out the facts "do any of you remember a witch that you had allied with?"

"I need more specifics, sister" Klaus mocked "I have had many a witches, and I have murdered the majority" a playful grin wiping across his lips.

Freya rolled her eyes "of course" she commented, knowing she'd get an honest and a truthful answer from Elijah. "Brother" she spoke, ignoring Klaus now "please, if we can figure out her identity, find where her magic lies, we have resurrect her and help kill Tristan. Think, when you met Tristan, did he have a witch? Someone he cared deeply for?"

Elijah didn't want to say it. He couldn't say it out of fear that he would admit to the biggest mistake of his life and unleash a stampede of emotions. He also didn't want to get his hopes too high, but all clues were pointing to the little witch.

"Her name was Marianne" he sighed "she did in fact die tragically and painfully in this city, and I know that she has a heart of gold that would help us. Especially if it is to defeat Tristan"

Rebekah, obviously shocked, knowing that Elijah turned Tristan without anyone's knowledge "if we can resurrect her, Elijah, she will never forgive you for what you did to Tristan" she said

"If we do resurrect her, I believe there will be much more serious things she will never forgive me for" he snapped back. Of course she'd be mad at Elijah for turning Tristan, but Elijah was the one who physically tore her heart from her chest in order to save his family.

But the thought of her actually being in his life again, the thought of her living and breathing, even if it wasn't with him. It made him happier, the constant weight on his heart he felt everyday, though sometimes it almost disappeared and then other times he felt it more then ever, it would go.

"Rebekah please show Freya where she died" he swallowed, trying to avoid the vivid flashbacks of what he had done. "I just need a moment alone"

Elijah swiftly edited the room and sat isolated on the steps up the hallway, his elbows rested on his knees as he tried to make sense of everything.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Hayley had follows him, she lurked behind him until she had enough courage to actually ask him what was wrong. "And please don't tell me it's complicated, our lives are just one big complication"

Elijah twiddled his thumbs, his eyes faced the floor, away from her. "Would you believe me if I told you I was once engaged?"

Hayley's heart almost stopped for a moment. "Tell me" she kindly demanded