22

Of course it was Finn that was not too pleased with the news of his brother's departure. He voiced his opinion in a series of grunts as well as storming from the room they were stood in. The room that Marianne felt unbelievably uncomfortable in.

She stepped carefully through but she knew that they were all have the talk in that room. Maybe it was Finn that would kill her? But he had stood in the hallway, by the front door.

"And you are certain this is what you want to do?" Niklaus asked, knowing that it was very hard for Elijah to make the decision. He wasn't exactly choosing her over his family, only choosing her welfare for a while until old age catches up with her. Marianne's life was limited, Niklaus and his families' were not.

Elijah flicked from his brother to his sister's smiling face. He then looked to Marianne and then her hand, seeing how the ring looked so perfect against her pale skin. Elijah saw her worry as she thought he would change his mind, so he took her hand in his and smiled "I have never been more certain in my life"

With that he felt her muscles relax and her thumb stroke his hand. "I want you all to know I do not mean to take your brother from you..." She tried to explain "... I just love him and I could not say no"

"Nonsense" Rebekah opened her arms and hugged the small witch "I have always wanted a sister, though I may not see you as much as I'd like, it is still something."

Marianne genuinely smiled at her new family, her wrist beginning to burn in an utter and agonising pain. She held it up and saw a very fresh carved M on her wrist, like it had burnt its way.

"What is that?" Elijah held her wrist closer so he could have a good look.

"I have seen this kind of spell in my mother's old grimoires" she studied it closely, using her fingers on her other hand to feel the bumps "it must have been cast a while back as this is quite severe..."

She thought for a while before looking towards her fiancé "My coven has done this to me..." But she needed to dig through her mind and remember what they have done. Marianne recalled her old friend saying something about hurting the ones she cared about. So it did not just effect her, it effected the Mikaelson's.

"What does it mean?" Niklaus asked, having his turn to look. Marianne felt like an object someone would pass around.

Think. She thought and thought, flashing back to the times her mother would sit her down by the fire with the other young witches of the coven and teach them levitation. Eventually it got more complex until finally...

"She has linked me..." Marianne came to the sharp realisation of what has happened. She ran her fingers through her hair and pulled it "how could I be so foolish? I have not been myself for months now" she cursed herself

"Linked. Linked to who?" Elijah asked

"Who do you think?" She asked, holding up the large M on her wrist "that explains the reason I have been seeing myself as Mikael; and that is why he has been finding us so quickly. Not only can I see his whereabouts, but he can see mine"

Marianne saw fire rise in Niklaus' eyes. It explained everything.

"Linking spells mean they can track one another, they feel a very strong connection and if one dies, so does the other" she explained "if I die then so does Mikael"

Elijah refused. He was about to tell her that was definitely not how Mikael will die. But Marianne had zoned from reality and into her visions.