Heart of steel chapter 9

HOS chapter 9

CHASE'S POV (Xander's best friend)

"Cya, Tommy," i said, waving as i made my way out into the cold evening. The sun was just setting and there were lots of people taking in the last few minutes of sunlight for the day, walking along the warf, playing in the park, riding bikes or just chilling with friends.

I had just finished work at Subway - which was in the little food court in the middle of this park - and went over to "MAX'S PIE SHOP" to grab a pie. There was no way i was eating a sub after working with them all day.

When i paid for my pie i slowly ate it as i searched for a place in this busy park to sit. I spotted a patch of shade under a tree and started to walk over as my phone beeped in my pocket. I chocked and almost dropped my pie as i saw it was from Xander.

It had been almost a full week and i hadn't heard from him. He wasn't turning up at school or answering his phone. There was no way that i was going over to his house to ask his parents either.

I opened the text from Xander. It read:

Chase,

Sorry i haven't been in touch this week 

Somethings happened.  

X

Somethings happened? A million possibilities flew through my mind. Was he hurt? Was Scarlett okay? Oh no, what if his parents did something to them?

I quickly hit reply and typed:

Xand, 

What's happened? Are you alright? Is Scar okay?

C

I hit send and tapped my foot as i waited impatiently for a reply.

Beep

Chase, 

I'll tell you all about it. Come meet me at the hospital in ten 

X

I nearly choked again. The hospital? What on earth could be happening. I threw the remainder of my pie in the bin, loosing my appetite and ran to my car. God i hoped they were okay.

I hopped in my truck and drove towards the hospital, mind still boggled on what could be going on. I started to get annoyed at the world when every traffic light i passed was red and the cars infront of me seemed to be driving too slow. I beeped at a few cars, earning myself a few back.

When i arrived at the hospital, of course, there were no parks. So I did what everyone else who couldn't find a park did and parked on the grass.

I walked over to the entrance and into the waiting room, not knowing where else to go. I looked around trying to find Xander but only seeing bruised and broken randoms. I walked back out and around the other side to the main entrance. There were corridors everywhere, sick people walking around with those machine things and visitors eating in the cafeteria.

I walked down the long hallway and looked down the first corridor. No Xander. I did that for three until on the forth i saw him. He was sitting in an uncomfortable looking chair with his face in his hands.

I rushed over to him and grabbed his shoulders. "Xander, what the hell is going on!"

A nurse looked at me and glared. "Sorry," i said.

I looked down at Xander again. As he looked up at me i gasped. His whole face was sunken, as if he hadn't slept for days. His eyes were bloodshot and drooped. I had never seen anyone so tired in my life.