Heart of Steel chapter two

Heart of Steel Chapter 2

Xander's POV

I quietly walked in the front door of my small house trying my hardest not to make a noise. I had just finished work at the pizza hut in town and it was around eleven o'clock. I shut the door behind me, barely making a noise.

I could hear the noises of the TV coming from the lounge room, dad's usual mystery series playing. I prayed to God he didn't notice me. I started to walk up the steps and forgot about the dreaded third one. It creeked under the pressure of my foot and i cringed, freezing with my heart beeting fast.

I swore when i heard the TV go mute and my dad grunt. "Get down here boy." he sounded angry, which wasn't a surprise.

My parents weren't bad people. Well, my mum wasn't. She was the most caring mother anyone could ask for when she wasn't in one of her moods. My dad used his power on us kids too much. I had one sister, Scarlett. She was two years younger then me at the time and i loved her more then anything. She would always laugh and tell me that i was too overprotective but i didnt care. I'd rather be an overprotective brother then an evil brother.

Dad was hardly ever home. He was always working or out of town for 'work reasons'. Me and Scar were suspicious of what his 'work reason'ed meetings are really about but we'd never question it. He never used to talk to us. He would only ever yell at the both of us and mum as well.

Once my mother stood up for herself. Once. It didnt work out well though, he yelled at her and drove off shouting that he would never be back only to turn up for breakfast the next morning.

Sometimes mum was loving and caring. That's when she was herself. And sometimes my mother and father worked as one. They would yell and Scar and I for the smallest things and say that they regret ever having us.

"Hurry up boy!" my dad yelled from the lounge. I paced quickly to the entrance to the small living room and forced a smile on my face.

"Hey dad."

He stood up and threw the remote onto the couch but it bounced off and hit the floor, batteries rolling out everywhere. That made him even angrier.

"Don't 'Hey dad' me boy! Where have you been?" he took a step closer and i took a step back.

"I...i was at work." i said. Damnit. Dad didn't know about me working. I had succesfully snuck in every work day for the past three months after work as he was usually away. I got a job to support Scar and I. i had the feeling that one day mum and dad wouldnt be there for us, that they would leave us.

"Don't mumble!" he shouts making me jump."What did you say?"

"I said i was at work.' i had to refrain myself from calling him sir.

Confusion crossed his face followed by anger and i thanked god that i didn't tell him earlier. "You got a job? And you didn't ask my permission? How dare you!" He grabbed my shirt and pulled me closer."And where is the money you are earning? I don't see it going towards our electricity bills or water bills or me or-"

I pulled away cutting him off. "Excuse me but it is my money! I work for it you have no right to tell me what to do with it" I mentally slapped myself, knowing that i would pay for talking back.

Another round of anger crosses his face. "You're never even home! You only come to the house to eat and you think you run the place? You have no right to push me or Scar or mum around!"

He smirked at me through angry eyes, "Bad move, boy. Bad move."

*                                                                                      *                                                                                        *

sorry its a short one my battery is running out they would usually be longer!!!!