Heart of Steel chapter 5

Heart of Steel Chapter 5

Charlie's POV

As i was running out the door Laila rushed out hers at the same time. She grinned when she saw me. She was wearing jean-tights and a white singlet.

"Morning!" she yelled over to me. I smiled and waved back. "Ready for school?" she laughed.

I wasn't nervous about meeting people at school but more about the fact that all the school work would be new to me. It'll be like i'm starting from scratch.

"Want a lift?" she called over. I nodded happily and then realised that i didn't even know where the school was. I had been in there once to get my papers but dad had drove me. I didn't know how to get there. Was i just going to drive around until i found it?

We got in her car - a red rusty old mazda bubble - and i laughed at the sound of its engine. "Are you sure this thing can still run?" i asked Laila.

She stuck her chin up high, stubborn and nodded. "It just needs a little push."

After a few more tries the motor started up but the engine coughed and splattered. She smiled successfully at me and we drove out of the driveway and towards the school. It was still spitting a bit, the rain had brewed into a massive storm last night and everything was still wet. The streets were busy at this morning rush hour and we had to sit at the traffic lights for some time.

When we finally reached the school the car park was full and the grounds were nearly empty. Classes had started. "And she's late on her first day of school. Well done to you."

I laughed and mock punched her arm. "You were walking out the door at the same time i was!"

We were laughing and running through the rain to our first class which we had together, getting wet again and entered the empty coridoors. "Where's room twenty?"

Laila directed me to the science block and we walked in slowly. A classful of eyes turned our way and we both froze in our tracks.

"Ah, miss Bixton. Glad you decided to join us this morning." i looked to the front of the class to see a male, fat, beared teacher leaning back in a swivel chair behind the desk. His face was red and i wasn't sure if that was because he was angry or if he was always like that. His beady eyes turned towards me next, looking me up and down. "And you must be miss Lo?"

I gulped and nodded my head. My head turned to meet the eyes of 25 - more or less - students staring at me. Some smiled and some gave me weird looks, just like the kids on my culdasac did. Looks like i'd have to get used to it.

"Well, better not make a habbit of being late. Wouldn't want to make me angry." He faked a smile at me and gestured towards the desks. "Please take a seat."

I walked down the rows of desk until i found a seat second row from the back. Laila sat next to me and class carried on. Well, more like the whole class sat there doodling on their papers while the teacher read at his desk, coughing every so often.

I sighed and rested my head on my hands. I had absolutly no idea what i was supposed to be doing so i followed the class, head on hands, looking out the window. This was a great english class.

When i looked at the clock for the hundredth time the bell rang, making everyone jump out of their boredom trance and run out the door. Laila let out a long breath. "Well, wasn't that the longest class in history."

I was about to correct her that this was english, not history, only to mentally facepalm myself. Tiredness leads to slowness.

I didn't know how long classes were supposed to go for, as i had no memory of an old school. But i was pretty sure that the teacher was supposed to...teach.