Chapter 5 { sidekick dreams }

{ I want to let you in, let me introduce to my skeletons, and get underneath my skin, we can always dive into irrelevence }

Chapter Five

I kept my head low the next day, carefully avoiding Buzz. I’d done it once, I could do it again. And, avoiding the one and only Jamie, who currently thought he was some secret undercover detective.

Well, he’d blown the first rules of being undercover. He’d told me. I could tell the whole world what he was doing. He wouldn’t be so confident to convict the killer then, would he?

Charlotte, like the good friend she was, noticed my lack of enthusiasm for the day and constantly chipped away at my nerve until I couldn’t handle her good friendliness anymore.

I’m fine, Charlotte!” I snapped, giving her my best glare. She stared blankly back at me as the newspaper team looked up from what they were doing and over at me.

“You ok Ebony?” Morris popped his head up from behind his book. I vaguely recognised the book, so he must of read it at least once before.

“I’m fine.” I regained my temper and looked around the room at all the peeping eyes. I managed to get awkward eye contact with everyone in the club. Even Jamie.

He kinda sideway smiled at me. I saw Charlotte flick her eyes between us and she let out the weirdest annoyed noise I’d ever heard. I turned my still blank face towards her rolling eyes and she glared back.

I squinted my eyes at the girl to try and understand her explanation. She just pouted back at me.

It started to feel like a showdown. Who could keep a straight face for the longest, who could hold their nerve? Charlotte won.

I stood up, my chair squealing as it went. I opened my mouth to say something remember-able as my walk out line but Charlotte stood too, managing to speak before me.

“You don’t even speak to me anymore! You don’t tell me anything, you haven’t even told me how your coffee with Buzz went! And you talk to Jamie! He’s doing it again, he’s stealing you away from me!” She whined like a little kid. I cringed at the mention of Buzz but by the time she’d finished I was so sure I hated her in that moment I didn’t care.

“Oh, grow up, Charlotte.” I scoffed, flinging my bag onto my back as the bell for third lesson. Perfect timing.

I walked out into the corridor in a rush, not even noticing Buzz waiting by the side of the room. It took me by surprise but I didn’t stop, I was going straight to my Philosophy and Ethics class. You could say I remotely enjoyed that class better than any other.

But Jamie was in that class. But so what. That didn’t matter.

“Ebony,” Buzz called from the corridor in what seemed like an annoyed tone. Everyone seemed to be stressed out today.

“Hey wait up!” In the midst of my shuffle through the outside door, an arm wrapped itself around mine and I found myself pulling Morris through the crowd.

He wore his usual cheeky grin and his hair didn’t even flinch under the horrendous wind. I had to let the corners of my lips curve up because, well, because Morris. He was the flamboyant, spectacular boy that everyone loved. When I need clothes, Morris is usually the one I ask to come shopping with me. He can never do anything wrong, really.

Actually, he chose the top I was wearing right now.

As well as Jamie being in my next class, Morris was too. And Fai, but I think she must have got lost in the crowd. Poor little Fai.