Chapter 1

Tobias

Playing Dare wasn't my favorite thing to do. I rather play paintball, or capture the flag, or even the new computer game Zeke was obsessed with. But no, parties Christina hosted always had to have that one game that was the play-or-leave. The game half the people there absolutely hated, and half the people absolutely loved because that was their chance to make a fool of someone and have an excuse for it.

The loud pounding music Lauren turned on did nothing to help me hear Uriah from across the deformed circle we were currently sitting in, and after several attempts of him carefully trying to pronounce each word for me to understand and I trying to lip-read, Will sighed in both impatience and annoyance and got up to turn it down a little. When he did, I kind of wished it was back up again, because of course the dare was about the same girl it always was, and of course that girl just happened to be Tris. My best friend at this moment was at home studying for some English test that was tomorrow.

"Is he serious?" I looked at Zeke for a moment, he was sitting right next to Shauna on the two-person couch, and when he shrugged playfully, he earned a slap to the shoulder by his girlfriend. "God Uriah, you are such a child." I rolled my eyes and glared at Uriah, who tilted his head back in laughter and gave me one of his lopsided grins that who knows why some girls found attractive.

"Thank you, I take that as a compliment." He grinned, shrugging his shoulders and throwing his hands up as if he's proud of it.

"You're a moron, you know that? we went over this, any dare having to do with Tris, I won't do"

"Well you're a coward, you know that? It's just a stupid dare and you can't do it. How dumb is that?" he scoffed and threw an arm around Marlene. Gosh, how can she stand him?

"Tris is my best friend. You wouldn't ask Marlene out just to break up with her when you guys get together, would you?"

"No. I would ask her on many dates, be her boyfriend for a couple months, and then breakup with her. She's a strong girl, it wouldn't even make a difference." He chuckled. "Why you blushing Tobias? do you like Tris?"

All I wanted to do was roll my eyes at how incredibly stupid he could be.

Lynn looked up from her phone, and said some not so nice words to him.

"He obviously doesn't want to hurt Tris, Uriah. " I was thankful for Christina stepping in, Uriah tends to get somewhat terrified when it comes to Chris, maybe it was the way her personality could go from sweet and bubbly, to totally vicious when it came to someone messing with the people she cared about in a matter of seconds. Who knows.

"I mean its fine, if he doesn't want to do it right? because thats just makes me the bigger person and proves that Tobias Eaton is a weak, candy-ass sissy, coward." It was probably the alcohol in his unstable system that encouraged him to speak against Christina, and I tried hard not to let it get to me. And it shouldn't have, because Uriah's horrible choice in hostile words were the dumbest thing i've ever heard. But the harshness and seriousness of his voice did enough to make me feel a whole lot smaller. "oh and not to mention PANSYCAKE."

I didn't liked being teased, never did. It was just that, I didn't exactly liked being un-liked, being un-liked made me feel like I was that same boy ages ago who sat whimpering in the darkness of the closet after getting a painful beating, it made me feel like there was something wrong with me. Because if people hated you, that meant that you were weren't a good person, and you must have done something wrong to make them mad at you, right? So when someone looked down at me, it made me feel like I did something wrong, making me wanting to try and try harder to be liked.

They were stupid reasons to allow me to consider the stupid dare, and it was just a part of my messed up childhood that triggered it.

"Okay." I stated plainly. Most of the people looked surprised by my answer, while the few who didn't got paid some extra bucks.

"Woah, woah, woah. Tobias, you're kidding right?" Zeke asked, worry more than surprise evident in his voice. "Dude, you don't have to do it, its just a dare."

"I know,"

There was a moment of utter silence, before Uriah laughed way too forcefully. "Okay then, great! choose the next victim, Tobias."