Part 75 - Friend or Foe

My original estimate had been roughly right. There were at least four hundred wolves surrounding our castle. Every single pack was arrayed there, including New Dawn, Shadowless and Riverside. My so-called allies. It didn't look like they had breached the walls yet. I found the slightest of consolations in that. But the camp was just ashes now.

Jace's minions led us straight into the heart of that army. As we walked, packlings gathered along the side of the paths to gawk at our little ragtag band, especially Jeff. Some stared with silent hatred, but more shouted abuse. We ignored it all — we'd heard it a thousand times before.

No one liked rogues. Not even other rogues, most of the time.

When they started throwing things (rocks, mostly), we closed ranks to shield Fion and Cassidy. It wasn't long before my shirt was sticky with blood from a dozen little cuts.

Our eight guides formed a loose circle. Whether it was for our protection or the army's, I wasn't sure. Going with them had been a choice. Killing the messengers and running away would have certainly sent the Alphas a message, but the wrong one. That's what they expected from us, so I would do the opposite. I hoped I could still talk my way out of this whole mess.

We eventually arrived at an open area with a view of the main gates. Jace Lloyd waited there, surrounded by a dozen of his men, but none of the other Alphas. It was a good a chance as I was ever going to get to rip his freaking throat out.

No, Skye. Deep, calming breaths. Talk first, shred later.

He folded his arms at our approach. I saw an eyebrow raise at the sight of Jeff, but that was all the reaction he allowed. The men around him took an instinctive step back.

"Where in hell did you find a Shadowcat, Skye Llewellyn?" was Jace's first question.

Rhys snapped his teeth scornfully. Jeff just yawned, showcasing those impressive fangs. I wasn't sure how he knew that term. Only the shifters from Anglesey knew of their existence, and as far as I could tell, no one left the island. Could he have been there?

"Never mind about that," I snapped. "I'm giving you five minutes to tell me what the hell you think you're doing."

"Fighting the pack war. What does it look like?"

"It looks like a disgusting betrayal of my trust. There is no pack war, is there? It was all just a way of hiding what you were really doing."

Jace at least had the grace to look ashamed of himself. "Not quite. You see, as you have repeatedly insisted, Last Haven is a pack. We are waging war against you. Therefore this is a pack war."

"Bullshit," I spat out. "We're a pack, not one of the packs, which is the whole problem. And how is seven against one fair?"

"Let's agree to disagree on that. There were maybe fifty of your fighters out here when we arrived. They successfully delayed us long enough for most of the camp to flee to the castle, and killed twice their number of our wolves in the process. Rogues don't play by the rules, so why should we?" the Alpha asked.

That made me prouder than I could say. Fifty fighters dead was a huge number. A devastating number. But it meant there were still enough left alive that we had a chance. There must have been a lot of raiders in the castle. I gave my friends a subtle nod. They could mind-link around and coordinate a defence while I talked.

"What do you mean, most of the camp?" Cassidy asked sharply. I wasn't sure if the words were hers, or Rhys was using her as a mouthpiece, but either way, we would make a rogue out of her yet.

Jace narrowed his eyes. "I mean not everyone ran away, human. The children were spared, and the women. Those who didn't fight back are prisoners. "