Part 36 - What She Didn't Say

This chapter has a trigger warning for references to sexual assault.

There were four of us in the car, and no one was talking. Total silence — for the entire journey back. But it was just a combination of exhaustion and individual contemplation. I was worrying about Fion and whether she was pregnant, Leo was miserable about his parents, and Ollie was working on a new patrol schedule.

Only Rhys was a cause for concern — quietly fuming as his bruises darkened. The injuries were entirely his own fault. He had taken an angry swing at Jace after hearing that I'd been attacked. It had taken seven men to separate them once they had got going, and not without significant damage to both.

We arrived back at camp in decent time, despite the rush-hour traffic on the main roads. I got out of the car and caught my brother's arm before he could slip away. "Rhys?"

"Yeah? Can I go back and kill those shitheads?" he asked immediately.

"Can I help?" Leo added. He had seen the full story through the link, and the anger hadn't stopped rolling back across since.

"No and no. I just want to know where Fion is."

Rhys replied — because of course he knew — with, "Firewood rota. She'll be back in an hour."

I looked to my mate. "Looks like we have some time to kill."

"Yes. We have some time to kill Bradley and Ryan," Rhys interrupted before Leo could open his mouth.

"You know them?" I didn't recall mentioning any names for this exact reason.

A vague nod. "They'll wish I didn't soon enough."

Well, shit. That was more danger than it was worth. I, personally, felt the fire hose had avenged me. I hadn't even considered that my family might want retribution of their own.

"Don't" —I poked his chest— "you" —another poke— "dare." I kept my tone mild but packed with enough force that he would listen.

Rhys caught my hand and tipped his head to the side, a motion that was so purely not wolf that I frowned. He offered me a hollow promise. "I'll think about it."

"I'm not kidding, Rhys. If I wanted them dead, I'd have damn well done it myself. So no one touches them." I finally turned back to my mate. "Now, Leo — you up for a walk?"

"Sure."

I half-expected Rhys to kick up a fuss, but he just stared into empty space. Too distracted to argue as soon as the subject had changed. I would definitely have to keep an eye on him, if only to stop him wrecking our alliance with the packs. Ollie stood silently by, and I hoped my pleading glance conveyed that he should follow Rhys like a lost puppy until his mood improved.

And then it was only a matter of finding where Fion's scent trail began and picking a tree to climb while I waited for her to retrace her steps. I found some low branches and used them to pull myself into a fork. It was strong enough to take both of our weights, as Leo proved when he settled next to me.

We could see camp, but I doubted they could see us. So it was a good vantage point to watch people come and go. I saw the packs of children roaming the tents, playing what looked like hide and seek. I watched the fighters train against each other. I listened to the laughter and the rowdy shouting and remembered a time when I had been a part of it all.

"I don't know your surname," I pointed out after a while. "We've shared a bed, and I don't even know your surname, and it's never mattered because I never needed to."

He nodded. "It's true that we — rogues, I mean — don't really use our second names. Except for the Llewellyns, of course. You lot make sure to boast your heritage at the top of your lungs."