Part 39 - The Long Arm of the Law

"Huh?" Rhys asked, looking impressively innocent.

I began backing away without consciously deciding to. This was not good — not good at all. From what scant knowledge I had of the law, police didn't make arrests unless they had evidence. And I didn't have a clue as to which of my many crimes they might have discovered.

"Oh, please, run," the other invited me. His sneer grated on my temper. "Give us an excuse."

For the first time, I noticed the guns holstered on their belts, probably because they had been hidden by the tailored blazers. What the hell? Police didn't carry guns unless they were a firearms unit, and firearms units were only dispatched to deal with dangerous — Oh shit. This wasn't about the phone, was it?

But I had a gun too. The difference was, mine was nestled in my rucksack, back with the others. Not that I would have used it anyway. I wouldn't shoot men for doing their jobs, even if they didn't have the same qualms about me.

Rhys's eyes met mine. We were cornered animals, looking for any way out. But beyond that – I noticed a question in that glance. So maybe he still had his own gun. I shook my head almost imperceptibly.

"Hands on your heads, knees on the ground." The snapped order didn't come as a surprise, but I didn't move a muscle. I had an aversion to kneeling — it was such a human thing to do. And it didn't make a damned bit of sense. Lying on your back with your throat exposed made you vulnerable. Kneeling just made you shorter.

The man's hand went to his gun, but there was a hesitance there which told me that he wasn't used to carrying one. Maybe this wasn't the firearms unit after all. I considered making a break for it. But I couldn't outrun a bullet. And these men seemed to have gone to such trouble to find us... It would be a shame to let that go to waste.

"Last warning."

"Alright, alright. Mind your blood pressure." I made myself smile as I put my hands on the back of my head. Beside me, Rhys sighed heavily but still followed my example.

It was close enough. They barely glanced at each other before taking the opportunity to seize us. One by one, my hands were twisted behind my back and cinched with cold metal. Handcuffs. Well, that was a sure way to stop me shifting. I could already feel them brushing against the rings of scars on my wrists, which were souvenirs from previous spells as a prisoner.

It was obviously basic procedure to recite our rights, so it didn't come as a surprise when I was told, "You have the right to remain silent. However, it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say can and will be held against you."

"Leo Morgan," I blurted; the opportunity had been too tempting to pass by.

Rhys couldn't decide for the life of him whether to snarl or laugh. He settled eventually on a grudging smile.

"Very original," the other officer muttered. "As I was saying, you have the right to a lawyer. If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be appointed for you. Do you understand?"

When I wanted — and I had to want it an awful lot — I could play nice. I could behave like a normal, undisturbed member of society. Until I got bored, anyway. Now seemed like the time to apply that skill.

"Yes. Thank you."

He proceeded to frisk me through my coat, finding my lighter and Leo's knife, both of which were confiscated. The phone in my pocket too, although he didn't give it a second look — so I doubted he knew it was stolen.

The second officer wasn't as enthusiastic to mess with Rhys, who towered over him and wore a dangerous grin. So my brother's search was conducted a gun pointed at his chest. One thing was clear — they weren't taking risks. They obviously knew something. The question was ... how much?