Chapter 42

42

Preparing to lose your life was scary.

Especially when you knew the people who could be your eventual murderers.

I stood on the porch with Liam, watching smoke float up from the tops of the trees. No one knew how my Pack got onto Shadow land, and Carmen and Mamma Rowan had disappeared.

I was scared.

I would never admit it, but I was.

Liam drew me to his side, his hand resting so comfortingly on the top of my shoulder.

Alpha Lyle emerged out of the trees near to the house, a trio of wolves behind him. They all stood by the forest line, unwilling to come any closer as he made his way up Kira’s dying lawn, filled with autumn colored leaves and onto the porch. He barely looked at us before he answered the question we were all trying to avoid.

“They’re burning it.”

“Burning what?” Liam demanded, unconsciously gripping my shoulder tighter.

“The Line, everything…” the Alpha said solemnly, looking away from us.

Kira didn’t last a moment longer; she ran into the house, probably going to get her children and get the hell out of here.

It didn’t seem like a bad idea.

“They’re going to burn us from the outside.” The Alpha went on. “They’ve already been along where the Line runs, separating our land from theirs. With the way things are going, the fire should surround us by nightfall.”

“No,” I rasped.

Two pairs of silver eyes settled on me, and then looked away.

“Are you telling me there’s no escape?” I asked, a little boldly now, feeling a salty tear sting my cheek.

They didn’t answer me.

“This is my fault.” I sighed to myself, slapping Liam’s hand away.

I felt him reach for my shoulder but I was out of his grasp before his hand could reach for me. I walked to the forest line, trying not to cough at the over powering scent of ashes and smoke that hung in the air.

I couldn’t believe that my family was going to do this to me—to them.

All because I did something forbidden.

Something frowned upon.

I fell in love with a Shadow wolf.

And over the time I’d spent here with him, I’d learned so many things. His family had become my own, and I felt no regrets for leaving the family I loved with all of my heart. It was then that I knew I couldn’t mope around until nightfall, waiting for an impending demise.

If they wanted to kill me—kill Shadows, they’d have to put up a fight.

This wouldn’t be easy.

But I didn’t care.

I fisted my hands and turned to face the house again, surprised to find Liam alone on the top step by himself, watching me. That was fine; he was a good enough audience.

“We’re not taking this backing down.” I said strongly, striding toward him with my head held high.

He looked at me with a peculiar expression on his face. “Misha, they’re burning us from the outside in. There’s no escape.”

“Don’t be that way.” I snapped at him. “We’re getting out of here. I’m not going to die, and neither are you.”

He gave me a sad, sad smile.