Chapter 29

29

Tegan lay upside down on my bed, her bright pink hair hanging off the side of the bed like a vibrant waterfall as her fingers twiddled across the keypad on her phone, a perpetually bored expression marking her features.

“What are you doing in here?” I asked her, dragging a towel vigorously through my hair, which I knew was a bad idea because it would frizz my hair and give me a particularly static-y ball of mangled curls, but I would deal with that later.

“I’m sleeping over,” she said, moving the phone from in front of her face and giving me a ‘isn’t it completely obvious?’ look.

“Tegan, when you ‘sleepover’ you don’t sleep in here,” I reminded her. “And I don’t think you ‘sleep’ either.”

I gave her a sour look, remembering all the times I’d been jolted out of my peaceful dreams by loud shrieks and banging on the walls. It was a wonder my parents never heard all of that noise, even from their own room. And Tegan and Hayden got away with murder.

It was shudder inducing.

Tegan’s cheeks flamed bright red as she plucked the spaghetti strap on her shoulder. “Um… I don’t want to… do any of that stuff tonight…”

“Too much information. Even as subtle as it was.” I frowned at her as I sprayed some detangler into my hair and tried to fix the frizz with my comb.

“Sorry,” she replied, sounding genuine. “But let’s have a normal sleepover tonight. You know, like old times?”

“You want to watch a Batman DVD and eat junk food?” I asked, turning away from the mirror to look at her.

“Didn’t we paint our nails too?” she asked offhandedly.

“Nah, you said painting nails was for bitches.” I replied with a grin, heading into my closet to find my pajamas.

“Oh yeah,” she said, sounding distant. “It sorta is…”

“That’s only because mom only had colors like Champagne Peach, Pomegranate Smoothie and Winter Dust Pink.” I laughed, pulling my top over my head.

Tegan wrinkled her nose. “All puke-worthy colors.” It was funny to see how Tegan hadn’t completely changed due to Hayden. “But I’ve got black today.” She held up a bottle of the most velvet black nail polish I’d ever seen.

I rolled my eyes at her. “You’re ridiculous.”

She laughed and pocketed her phone.

“So Batman?” I clarified.

“Definitely.”

“To the living room!” I giggled, snatching some pillows off my bed and some comforters out of the linen cabinet. “Batman DVD it is.”