Chapter 14

I hear the sound of someone throwing up as I hide up in the diner with my bow and quiver. I cringe and wrinkle my nose. I sneak a peek downstairs and I see a boy with wavy blond hair upchucking into a flower pot. I decide to run down the stairs and see what happened to him.

"Hey are you alright?" I ask him, keeping my distance. He holds up a bent sword in pathetic defense and sighs- pausing from his heaving. I give him a smile in which I hope says I won't kill him. He shakes his head slowly.

"District 2... some sort of gas... chased me for miles, and miles, and miles..." he mutters in complete dispair. Then he begins throwing up again.

 I hear the sound of people's footsteps. Suddenly i'm back in District 12 in the woods. Listening for the feet of my father trying to sneak up on me. I snap myself back to reality and look up to the right. Sure enough, here comes about 4 people jogging along the golf course with bottles of some sort in hand. By now, they know i have seen them and have begun to run. I grab my quiver and toss it over my shoulder, load my bow, throw my pack over the opposite shoulder, grab the sweaty boy and drag him along, running up the gravelly hill towards the neighborhood i saw earlier.

The boy looks like he is about to collapse so i run into a tree and climb far enough up so that the boy won't fall and I can camoflauge myself. The other tributes run pass thirty seconds later and i shoot two of them quickly from my perch. The only thing, is that i heard only one cannon. This is enough to make one of the tributes (the 14 year old girl from District 2 named Saylor) stops and runs back for the boy whos cannon has already sounded. She sobs over him and i get the glimpse of the boy from 2, Kalter.

Thats the only look im going to get of Saylor crying over Kalter, because now the one tribute that didnt get shot or run back in grief is charging towards me with a trident. Yeah, i said trident. I climb farther up the tree, leaving the barely breathing boy behind. I hide in the leaves and the tribute from 1 as i now see, (Flare) searches the tree for me. Obviously she took it from the injured tribute from 4, so she can hardly hold it up. I send an arrow in her direction and hear a sharp scream.