Chapter 5

I wake up screaming. Suddenly Peeta is there comforting me. "Shhhh. It's alright Ariana." I'm shaking like mad having flashbacks of the terrible nightmare I just had. Then everything that has happened in the past two days hits me like a brick wall. I burst into tears and Peeta holds me. Finally my sobs are reduced to sniffles and hiccups and after a pause I say, "I miss my father." I look down. "I miss my father too. He was a very nice man. Died in the last uprising." I look up at him and give him a sympathetic smile. He gets a vacant look and then says, "You know, i miss YOUR dad too." I look curiously at him. "So, I never got to ask. How do you know my father?" he sighs. "Well it all started when I was about 12. There was this 14 year old Seam boy who the love of my life started hanging around. All the girls had crushes on him. Even the mayors daughter! Can you guess who that boy was?" Peeta tells me then gives me a smile. "Gale Hawthorne!" I shout. He chuckles and nods. "I didn't actually meet him until after Katniss and I won the games. He was probably angry at me for kissing her all the time. He was totally in love with her." I nod, taking in the childhood my father never told me about. "Then after the Capitol made us "engaged" he was even more infuriated. He still loved Katniss but so did I. After we won the Quarter Quell, the uprising tore us apart. I was captured and hijacked. All my memories toward everyone were hateful and I couldn't stop it. Your dad came in when we rebelled against the capitol and he almost died. We won the rebellion, Your dad got a job in district 2, and Katniss and I got married and had children." My eyes have been growing wider the whole time. I can't believe my father did all those things and never told me! "Wow." is all I manage to choke out. "Just wow."