Chapter 2

"Ariana Hawthorne?" Effie asks again. I feel tears sting my eyes but gather myself and walk up to the stage. Effie smiles and I remain expressionless. Staring out into the crowd I spot my father, the only one who cares for me, with tears in his eyes. I forgot to mention that the previous victors Haymitch Abernathy, Peeta Mellark, and Katniss Mellark are watching intently, curiously. I try not to notice but I wonder for a long time. Next Effie calls the male tribute. "Rory Woods!" Oh no. Not Rory. He's the nicest Seam boy even if all i give him are glances or glares. Can't wait to watch him die in 3D. Our district has no chance with a couple of 12 year old Seam kids like us.We shake hands and get hauled to the Justice Building.

My face stays expressionless. I know the only visitor I'll be getting is my father. I'm not exactly friendly towards other kids. No one approaches me. So I don't approach them. My father arrives with tears rolling down his usually warm yet secure face. It's hard to see him like this knowing how brave and confident he usually is. We stay in eachothers embrace for a long while until he pulls away. "Ariana, you can win. I know you can. Be brave and you can do it." By now salty tears are leaking from my eyes too. "I love you dad." I manage to choke out. "I love you to sweetie." He kisses me on the head and is gone.

Now I weep into the pillows of the cushiony couch beneath me. I know I won't be getting anymore visitors so I cry and cry. I stop when I hear a knock. Katniss and Peeta enter. I wipe my eyes and sniffle a bit. "What are you doing in here?" I ask. "To see if you were alright. We know how helpless you feel right now and we want to help." says Peeta. Katniss is gazing at me in confusion and curiosity. "Can I...help you?" I ask her, waving a hand in front of her. "Oh sorry, it's just you look so familiar. Like I know you, but I don't." She takes another look then shuts her eyes in concentration. Suddenly they snap open. "Gale."