Chapter 3c - MY MONSTER - Exploring The Highlands

[To see the list of chapters click on the book title and you will find a drop-down list.]

Wendy's first visit to the Highlands. Me revisiting my old childhood holiday haunts. I had not been to the loch for more than twelve years. As a man of sixty-two, twelve years seems a very short time indeed, but when in my twenties it seemed an age.

We approached Loch Ness from the west, having stayed the previous night at Spean Bridge, a medium sized village half way along the Great Glen. We had tried to get bed and breakfast at a charming farmhouse with views overlooking the glen near the famous Commando Memorial. Our failure was to affect our lives permanently as it happens.

As we had arrived at the door another couple were unloading their bags. We were out of luck. We made a note of the telephone number and were planning to stay there the following night. We knew it was a good omen when we were told that the number was the same as our three digit lucky number.

The B&B we eventually found that first night in the Great Glen was one of these modern box bungalows. Very comfortable with views of the Nevis range, but no character whatsoever.

We set off fairly early the next day to head towards Inverness.

On the approach to Fort Augustus we could see the loch in the distance, the steep side walls of the hills, the mound of Mealfuarmhonaidh minding the northern uplands and the grey brooding mass of Loch Ness under a leaden sky.

[Mealfuarmhonaidh - Moor of the cold wind in English]

All the magic of those childhood visits immediately returned.

We planned to turn right at Fort Augustus and to travel along the back road to Inverness, completing the circumnavigation up the northern side before returning to the traditional B&B near Spean Bridge. Isn't it great to watch plans unravel and a real adventure begin.

In Fort Augustus I bought several Nessie books. Loch Ness Story by BBC newsreader Nicholas Witchell, Loch Ness Monster by the late Tim Dinsdale and The Monsters of Loch Ness by Professor Roy Mackal. I couldn't wait to read them, but, firstly, of course, I flicked through the pictures, looking at the grainy classic Nessie photographs by Hugh Gray, Colonel Wilson (the surgeon), Lachlan Stuart, O'Connor, MacNab, Adams plus the stills from the famous 1960 Dinsdale film. All of these were to become so much a part of our lives.

No doubt Wendy will have had to nudge me into continuing our way towards Inverness.

What a disappointment that the road climbed away from the loch as we passed Loch Tarff and through Glen Doe towards Saint Cumin's seat. Incredible views from here to which I have since taken many television crews to film.

 Incredible views from here to which I have since taken many television crews to film

The most wonderful stretch of road then descends towards Knockie. Several miles of arrow straight tarmac. I clearly remember my father knocking the car out of gear and coasting for what seemed like an age. I can't remember if we did the same in 1976 ... would I admit it if we did? It's now illegal in the UK.