Chapter 28

Chapter 28
Tarna
"Oh look," Malcolm said, passing me over the book he was looking at.
We had been sitting in the library, reading the pregnancy books. Well, I was just looking at the pictures but Malcolm didn't have to know that.
I frowned looking at the two pages that Malcolm was opened up to. I could make out that it was a list of names but I didn't understand what for.
"Baby names," Malcolm said for me making me frown.
"But we don't know what it is."
He shrugged, "so, doesn't mean we can have some in mind. How's Brice for a boy."
I cringed, "no."
"Okay, what about Iomhar?"
I frowned, "boy or girl."
"Boy."
"Malcolm, there is a chance that it could be a girl," I reminded him.
"Just let me dream okay. What about Ian?"
I shrugged not hating it but not loving it.
"We should make one up," I suggested, turning back to my book.
"Make one up?" He asked, "What did you have in mind?"
I knew he was trying to tease me but I didn't care.
"Mmm, on the top of my head, what about Moon Moon."
His eyebrows raised, almost to his hair line as his mouth dropped.
"Moon Moon?" He asked.
I nodded.
"That has got to be one of the most horrible names in the universe."
I scoffed, "it's better than Iomhar or Brice."
"None of those names will get our kid bullied till their thirty."
"But every second person has the name Brice. We should name it somethin' that reflects us."
"What, Werewolf?"
I gave him a numb look.
"Dodgy Start."
"Okay, I get it. But I'm serious."
"So am I. We don't need to give it another reason to be bullied."
I frowned, watching as he coughed and went back to reading like he didn't say what he had said.
"What?"
"What?" He instantly said after me.
"You said another reason to be bullied. Whatever reason could we give it?" When he ignored me, I hit his shoulder, "Malcolm."
"Look, okay, I'm not sayin' that it's goin' to be like me but..." He paused.
"You think their wolf is goin' to be crazy, don't you?"
"It's a possibility, isn't it?" He asked, not expecting an answer, "it's genetic."
"Were you parents' wolves uncontrollable?" I asked.
"Well, no."
"Then it's not genetic. And even if it was, your wolf is nothin' to be bullied about."
"Maybe not but it's definitely somethin' to be concerned about. We'll have to watch it and -."
"Stop," I told him before he said something that he would regret, "we're not puttin' our baby on wolf watch till it finally shifts. It's not happenin'."
"So you would rather allow it to shift, kill someone and live with the guilt for the rest of its life."
I scoffed, "of course not. But we're not treatin' our child like a science experiment either," when Malcolm's face didn't change, I added, "how about we put it in the talk about it later pile? And baby names?"
He shrugged, turning back to his book.
"Hey," I said taking his arm, "you don't have to worry about it."
He sighed, "I know but I can't risk it, Tarna. Surly you understand."
"I do understand but we can't keep fearin' the worse, okay. Tones of things could go wrong and it has nothin' to do with the thin' being a werewolf or what name it has."
He nodded, "I know."
I smiled watching his hand move to my belly. I loved it when he rubbed my swollen bump showing it such care.
Just as I picked up my book from my lap something moved. I wasn't sure what it was as first till I felt it move again. My mouth dropped and my eyes widened trying to get past the shock.
"What? What is it?" Malcolm asked, worried.
"The baby," I started, "it's movin'."
"Really," he said jumping to his knees beside me, "is it still movin'?"
I nodded, taking his hands and placing them on my belly.
"Doline, the woman at the prenatal classes said that I would feel it move, I just never knew that it would be so soon. Can you feel it?"
Malcolm was still for a moment, "I think so. It might be too early."
I nodded accepting that.
"We made that," Malcolm stated, more to himself, "we made a little wolf cub."
I giggled at his stunned face, still trying to get over it.
In a blink of an eye, he learnt over and took my lips in his. Through my giggles, I found myself underneath Malcolm and wrapped my legs around his waist.
"You look - so sexy - in my shirt," Malcolm told me between kissing me making me laugh.
He was always trying to make me feel hot. The sad part was that it worked.
Pulling apart from my lips, Malcolm started to unbutton my new shirt.
"Malcolm, what if someone comes in?" I said, looking at the double doors as if just waiting for someone to come in.
"We'll be quick. You've got to admit, the thought of someone just comin' in at any moment is kind of hot."
All I could do was groan arching my back for him.
"Sit up," Malcolm told me, pulling me up before I had a chance to.
His hand disappeared in my shirt and before I knew it, my bra was off and I was pushed down again. God, I loved it when he was rough. Pulling open the shirt, Malcolm's lips were on my nipple causing me to hiss.
"Oh Malcolm," I groaned, digging my nails into his shoulders.
"Huh-ham."
Malcolm and I instantly froze. I forced my eyes to stay staring at the ceiling, wishing that I wasn't here. This wasn't happening. I didn't know which brother had caught us but what I did know what that the only thing that was covering my boob, was Malcolm's head.
Very delicately, Malcolm unlatched my nipple and slid the shirt back over my breast.
It was only then that I was game enough to look over to the door where a smug Archie leaned against the wall.
"How long have you been standin' there?" Malcolm asked, buttoning up my shirt, not looking at Archie.
"Long enough to know that I'll be scarred for the rest of my life and that I'm never sittin' on that lounge again."
"Oh, Archie," I sighed, "like you haven't done it on the lounge."
His mouth dropped, "I'm a gentleman. I would never -," he sighed, "at least I lock the door."
Malcolm sighed, pulling me to a sitting position, "there wasn't time. What are you doin'?"
"Ahh, don't you remember?" Archie frowned.
Malcolm shook his head.
"You were goin' to come with me to the Gibson farm."
Malcolm groaned, remembering, "Right I forgot. Can't Callum come with you?"
"He's doin' weddin' business. Please, Malcolm don't back out. Everyone in Gibson's pack is such a rat."
"Oppose to snakes," Malcolm stated.
Archie shrugged, "trust me, there's a lot of thin's I would rather be doin'."
Malcolm nodded believing him before turning to me.
I knew what he was going to ask so I just said, "I'll be fine. I'll just chill out here."
He nodded and leaned over to pecked my lips before standing and walking out of the room with Archie following.
I sighed feeling utterly alone for the first time in months. With about eight of us living here, not including the pack that were living in the third gallery, I hardly ever got time to myself. I never thought that I would miss it. I didn't miss the lonely nights and the ache inside of me that could only be filled by a pack. But I did miss my wolf and the journeys I made in the forest. Perhaps when Malcolm got back, we could go together. It wouldn't be the same as if I was wolf, but it would be something.
I sighed again, rolling off the lounge and stumbled for my footing. God, I was getting so fat. I wasn't that far along but I had never been more than a size four and now I was barely fitting in any of my old clothes. Thank God my mate had broad shoulders.
Walking over to the bookcase, I tilted my head in order to read the spines. Of course I couldn't. Some weren't even in English and probably been collected over the years of rule.
I pulled out one, and flicked opened to a random page. I didn't recognise the language but smiled at the scribbling before putting it back.
Skipping over to Callum's desk and looking a few things I could read though not well.
One piece of paper was just a table with random numbers placed on the page. It probably meant something to him but I couldn't begin to understand them. Pushing a few to the side, I picked up one.
Up the top read in big black letters, I tried to sound, "f-Faol C-Coill-ie."
Just as I went to put it down, the double doors opened. I suddenly froze when Callum came through and I feared that he would be angry with me for going through his stuff.
"Sorry, I was just lookin'," I blurted out quickly, organising the pile like I had found it.
"No, it's okay. If you feel the urge to do it for me, go right ahead," he told me, calming my nerves.
I smiled, finding it funny that for someone who had so much responsibility could not stand to do paper work.
"Still find it borin', huh?"
He nodded, "when I first became Alpha, I moved the desk out here to try and motivate me but paper work is borin' no matter where you are."
I giggled at that guessing it was true.
We fell into silence, trying to figure out what to say next. I bowed my head as I felt Callum's quizzing stare, trying to determine my little secret.
"You can't read, can you?"
I bit my lips and turned my head from his question. He had guessed it. It only took him a couple of minutes when Malcolm still didn't have a clue.
"How did you know?" I asked him, knowing that I hadn't done anything to make him suspect.
"Before I came in, I heard you tryin' to sound out Faol Coillie."
I nodded accepting his answer before fear filled my stomach.
"Don't tell Malcolm, please," I begged, "I don't want him to have any other reason to be disappointed in me."
He frowned, "Tarna, Malcolm loves you. He would never be disappointed."
"I don't want to give him the option. I mean, let's face it, a rogue knocked up mate that can't even read isn't somethin' to boast about."
"But you're not a rogue anymore, you have a pack and a family. And that baby that's inside of you is nothin' to be ashamed of."
God, he sounded like Malcolm.
"It's what's goin' to brin' my family back together and hopefully keep my brother here instead of in that attic."
I nodded, accepting his answer. I didn't see my wolf cub as some miracle baby. It was just a simple baby that was made by people that loved each other like every other baby. But the way Callum talked was as if my baby was something that was going to change all his problems. Maybe he was right.
Sighing, Callum asked, "Would you like me to teach you?"
I frowned, "teach me how to read? Don't you have better thin's to do, like runnin' a pack and an estate?"
He shrugged, "I've got four other siblings for that. It doesn't have to be every day and Malcolm doesn't even have to know if you don't want him to."
I liked the idea, I couldn't deny it. 
"Have you ever taught someone to read before?"
He nodded, "the twins. Though I'm sure you'll be easier than two five year olds causin' trouble."
I giggled nodding.
"Now, I better go before Liv starts to rip our weddin' planner to shreds."
I frowned, "isn't your weddin' planner Amy."
He nodded, his cheeky grin growing, "aye, that's my point."
I giggled again, watching him turn for the door. Before he got there, I stopped him.
"Callum," he turned with that calming smile on his face, "why are you doin' this? Is it because I'm your brother's mate, or because I'm havin' his baby or -."
"I'm doin' this because your apart of my pack and family and I take care of my pack and family."
I nodded and smiled, accepting his answer before he turned and headed for the door.
Remember that Tarna, I told myself, you're not alone any more.