Chapter 26

Chapter 26
Malcolm
"Malcolm, come on!" Tarna's voice yelled from our room as I dried my hair, "We're goin' to be late."
"Tarna, we are not," I told her as I hung my towel, knowing she was on edge about going to these prenatal classes.
She had barely slept last night. So on top of being hormonal and now twelve weeks pegnant, she was sleep deprived. I was staying clear of making her angry.
When I came out of the bathroom, all I could do was smile as she continued to fuss over her hair in the dresser mirror.
"Your hair looks fine," I told her, cupping her shoulders and giving her a quick kiss on the top of her head.
She groaned, cringing, "Maybe I should have it down. Hide the bump."
"Don't you dare," I said sternly.
As much as I loved her hair, its long length, but I loved it up. With it up, I could clearly see her face and her growing belly.
"You're growin' our little wolf cub, remember," I told her, taking to calling our baby wolf cub, "And I want to show the world."
"Aye, but it's not you that their frownin' on," she told me.
I frowned, "What do you mean?"
She turned in my grip, with worry in her eyes, "Malcolm, I'm twenty- seven, unmarried and pregnant. Even I know that it's shamed upon."
"Says who?" I questioned her, annoyed that she was ashamed of herself.
She shrugged, "I don't know."
"Well stop it," I told her, "You have nothin' to be ashamed of. Plenty of people have children that aren't married."
"Aye, but do they have a title?"
I frowned at her question. I hadn't realized that we had gone back to this. I guess it was my fault. When I had first met her, I had used the argument that because that she was a rogue she wasn't good enough to be my mate, but why was that bothering her now.
"Do you know what I think?" I asked her, taking her hips in my grip and slightly tugging her to me, "I think that you should stop thinkin' like this."
She bowed her head but nodded. I smiled again at her, kissing her cheek.
"Come on, we're goin' to be late," I told her before leading her out of the room.
Just as Tarna shut the door, we were greeted by Liv and Callum.
"Oh, I feel like I'm standing you off to your first day of school," Liv said, giddy as she jumped on the spot making Callum's grin grow.
"You two ready?" he asked, causing my head to go straight down to Tarna.
She gave a nervous nod making me smile.
"Aye, we'll be fine," I reassured him.
He smiled before taking Liv's hands, "Come on Liv, I need to go check on the boundary."
She nodded, "We'll see you when we get back."
They turned and headed for the stairs.
Looking down at Tarna, I asked, "Are you ready?"
She gave a nervous nod and not stopping till I gave her a soft kiss on her lips.
"Everythin's goin' to be fine," I whispered against her lips.
"But humans, Malcolm. Humans. I'm not good with them at the best of times."
I sighed, finding her worry adorable, "You'll be fine. I'm here, remember?"
Her eyes narrowed at me, "You know, the more you say that, the more I think it's not goin' to be fine."
I shrugged, "Fine, everythin's goin' to be horrible. Is that better?"
She was quiet, shifting from one foot to the other, "It's not worse."

Tarna
We got to the little hall just as the doors opened up and about five women and their partners filed through. I could already tell that there were none of my kind among them. I didn't know if I wanted a werewolf there but I knew that I would feel a little more comfortable if there had been. So I was left with only Malcolm to calm my nerves.
"See," Malcolm started, coming around from his side of the Jeep, "Just on time."
I was too nervous to even bite back. Sensing this, Malcolm gave me that come on smile and wrapped his arm around my shoulder.
"Everythin's goin' to be fine," he told me once again.
"Malcolm, I told you to stop –," my voice was cut off when we walked through the double doors of the little hall.
Our feet made loud thuds on the hard wooden floor boards and echoed off the arched ceilings. There were two long tables by the wall with seats around them but that wasn't where everyone was. They were taking their seats on the floor by the stage as a woman welcomed us in.
"Come on in, take a seat in a circle so that we can get better acquainted," she said, trying to work a TV that sat on a small table, "I'm Elspeth by the way."
Elspeth had set up cushions for us to seat on the floor, making me grown at the idea of sitting down.
Malcolm chuckled, knowing what I was thinking. With my hands in his, he helped me down on the cushion before taking one beside me. I wasn't fat enough to make things like getting up and down hard, but some days I just didn't have the motivation.
"Now," Elspeth started, taking a seat on a chair, "Let's go around the circle and say who we are and what we're havin'. Startin' with you."
The couple to her left, laughed awkwardly before the man finally said, "I'm Bhaic and this is my wife Doline. And we're havin' a boy."
I watched as the couple's grin grew at the idea of having a little boy. It was only now that I realized that I had no idea what I was having. I had been calling it wolf cub for a reason.
After two more couples, it was our turn.
"Ah," Malcolm started, "I'm Malcolm and this is Tarna. And we're havin' –."
"A human!" I blurted out before I could stop myself.
There were a few snickers from the group causing my cheeks to burn red. All I wanted to scream was I told you that it wouldn't be fine, Malcolm!
I turned to him for help but only found him smiling.
"We're not sure what we're havin'," Malcolm covered, trying to stifle his chuckles, "But we're very excited and very happy that this happin'."
I felt like I could breathe once Elspeth moved onto another couple. What the hell was wrong with me?
Looking at Malcolm, I mouth I told you. All he did was chuckle, clearly unaffected by my slip up. I knew that it wasn't secret breaking but still. When werewolves lived this close to humans, the secret of what we were was vital.
After everyone had introduced themselves, Elspeth started, "Now, we're goin' to be doin' some exercise to make our mothers fill supported in this changin' time. So find a space in the room."
At her instruction, Malcolm was on his feet and pulling me up with him. He then bent, took our pillows and led me over to our little space in the room.
Sitting down on the pillow that he had placed on the floor for me, I said, "I said that somethin' would go wrong."
"Shh," he told me, "We're here to make you feel supported in this changin' time."
All I could do was scoff.
"Now, Pappas," Elspeth started, "Take Mamma's hands in yours and tell her that you have her."
Malcolm took my hands and with those big puppy dog eyes, said, "I have you."
I had to bite my lip to stop smiling.
"Tell her that she is a strong woman and will get through this."
"You are a strong woman and will get through this."
"Okay, you can leave the dramatic speech out of it," I told him, though I kind of enjoyed it.
"Never."
"Squeeze Mamma's hands tight," Elspeth instructed, "And tell her, you're here for her."
"I'm here for you," Malcolm said, causing me to burst out in laughter.
"Please," Elspeth said, hushing us, "Shh."
"Sorry," I said, but I couldn't stop my giggles.
Taking a couple deep breath, I calmed down a little, still laughing.
"God, Tarna," Malcolm groaned, "We're doin' exercises."
"Then stop makin' me laugh," I whispered making his grin grow.
"Pappas, tell Mamma why you love her," Elspeth instructed.
"Well, Mamma," Malcolm started, tugging on my arms, "I love you because you're an amazin', strong woman with beautiful long hair, big blue eyes and a growin' pouch with my wolf cub in it."
"Our wolf cub," I corrected.
He frowned, "That's what you got from that."
I nodded making him smile.
"Mammas, how do you feel?" Elspeth asked.
A couple of the women answered her as the rest of us stayed quiet.
"Okay, time for a little break as I try and get this TV started," Elspeth said making small chuckle arise from the group.
Malcolm stood, offering out his hands for me. I took them, groaning as he pulled me to my feet.
"There's some water and cookies over there if you want some," Malcolm told me, pointing over to the table where a water jug sat and a platter of cookies.
I nodded, "Chocolate if they have any."
He nodded before walking over there.
"First time?" I jumped at the sound of a woman's voice beside of me.
It was the woman from the first couple, Doline, I think.
"Aye," I said, through uneasy giggles trying to get my heart race down.
She nodded, "I can see that you're nervous. Don't be, these classes are nothin' to be afraid of."
"That's what Malcolm said. I still don't believe him," I admitted making her laughed, "Is this your first kid?"
"Nope, Tyree here," she said rubbing her belly, "Is my third. I have another boy and a girl."
"Aw," I said before I could stop myself, "I don't know what I want."
"Well, you don't really have a choice."
I shrugged, "I guess so."
"So, planned or accident?" she asked.
I bit my lip, tossing up whether I should lie or not.
"Um, can I say, happy accident?" I asked.
She laughed, "Of course. If we're bein' honest my first child was a 'happy accident'."
I smiled, feeling a little less nervous than before. Maybe these classes weren't all bad.
"How far along are you?" Doline asked.
"Are twelves maybe, weeks. I've lost count," I admitted.
"Oo, so baby's startin' to move. Have you felt it yet?"
I shook my head.
"Oh, shouldn't be long then."
"Can I ask you a question?" I asked before I could stop myself. It only seemed fair seeing all the questions she had asked me, "I'm a little nervous about bein' a Ma and I have no idea what I'm doin'."
"Oh Honey, nobody does," she said, taking my hand, "Read books, that's what I did."
Just as I went to asked if there was anything else but books that I could answer my question when Malcolm said, "Here's your cookie."
"Thanks," I said, feeling my face lighten at the sight of the little round thing.
Okay, yes, I was beginning to have cravings and cookies were at the top of my list.
"I'll leave you two to it," Doline said before waddling over to her husband where he was talking to another couple.
"What were you two talkin' about?" Malcolm asked me.
I shrugged, "Just pregnancy stuff, you wouldn't understand. Oh can we hit the bookstores?"
He frowned, "What for?"
"Pregnancy books," I answered, not really knowing how the hell I would read them after we had brought them.
He shrugged, "Why not? Anythin' else?"
"Oo, can we stop by the store and get some more cookies?" I asked, trying to put on my best please Pappa, I'll do anythin' look.
He smiled and cupped my cheeks, "Sure, Little Wolf. Anythin'."

With a bag full of cookies, Malcolm and I walked into the library. Malcolm had his hands full of pregnancy books which I did want to help him with, but I needed to protect the cookies. Cookies were special to me.
"Hey," Liv said, sitting up on the lounge as we walked through the door, "How was it?"
"Really, really fun," I couldn't hide my surprise as I flopped down on the arm chair that was usually Callum's seat if he wasn't at his desk but he wasn't here right now.
"You look like you had fun," Graham stated, staring at my cookies.
I growled, hugging them tight, "There mine and I will guide them with my life."
"Aw," Malcolm said, sitting the books down by the desk, "You're goin' to be a great Ma."
I smiled, taking a bite into one of my cookies feeling like I earned it.
"Liv, if I leave these here, do you think Callum will mistake them for somethin' to do with the estate?" Malcolm asked her.
"What are they, pregnancy books?"
He nodded.
"Only if the diagrams are about how to farm the land."
He chuckled before moving back over to us. He kissed my cheek before taking a seat next to Liv.
"So what did you have to do?" Allie asked, sitting up.
"W-hav-to...sit –."
"Do you want me to tell the story?" Malcolm asked as I tried to chew my cookie.
I nodded making him chuckle.
"We had to sit on the floor and introduce ourselves where Tarna blurted out that we were havin' a human."
"What?" Graham yelled, "Tarna that was supposed to be a secret."
"Bi-me," I mumbled.
"Anyway," Malcolm said before his brother could continue, "Then we started exercises which consisted of me tellin' Tarna that I supported her which ended with her laughin' and the woman shhin' us."
"Tarna, I didn't know you were such a bad lass," Graham teased.
"You should have seen me in school," I stated, taking another cookie
"As I was sayin'," Malcolm stopped us again, "Then we had a little break before we did more exercises, Tarna was given a few sheets that talks about what she should be eatin' and doin as our Little Wolf Cub grows. And then finally we went to a bookstore and brought Tarna cookies."
"Guess which part of that was my favourite," I said taking a bite out of another cookie.
"I think it's so cute that you call the baby wolf cub," Liv stated, making me smile and feed myself another treat.
"What else is he goin' to call it?" Allie asked, "they don't know what their havin'."
"I bet he wants a boy," I turned my head in the direction of the door as Archie and Amy came through.
"I honestly don't care. As long as it's happy and healthy," Malcolm corrected making Amy scoff
"Please, that's such a line," she outed him, sitting down next to Graham and Allie.
"It's really not," Malcolm tried to convince her.
"Archie," Amy started, looking up at Archie as he sat down on the arm rest next to her, "Is his heart racing?"
"Aye, never been faster."
"Hey!" Malcolm yelled offended, "Whatever happened to the brother bond?"
Archie scoffed, "Oh come on Malcolm. Princess rules my life."
Amy nodded, "It's true."
"But I honestly don't care," Malcolm said, trying to clear his name.
"That's code, isn't it?" Liv said, "You want a boy."
He looked heartbroken, "Okay, I expect it from them, but you?"
She just shrugged and went along with it.
"Okay Malcolm," Allie started, leaning forward, "I've got a question. Say you have a little lass. That little lass is goin' to grow up. She's eighteen, enjoyin' a night on the club and a prick like our brothers are there," she pointed to Graham and Archie, "starts lookin' her up and down."
Malcolm nodded, contemplating on what she had said.
His head then shot towards me, "I want a boy."
"What?" I yelled, "Malcolm, you don't get a choice."
"I know, but I don't want any kid of mine comin' up to me, tellin' me that they're pregnant to a sick person like my brothers."
"Hey!" they yelled in unison.
"Come on lads," Malcolm groaned, "when you two were eighteen, you were shaggin' two lasses a night."
"What do you mean by when?" Graham corrected, "I still am."
"Your not helpin' my point," Malcolm told him making him shrugged before he turned to me, "Come on Tarna, tell me that you don't want that."
I shrugged, "I'll love it whatever it is. Especially if they get pregnant."
"And I will too. But, the boy will be dead."
"Oh, if some lad gets my little girl pregnant, I'll kill him," I told him, deadly serious, "but whatever we end up havin', we will raise it well so that they know how to use a condom."
"Well, I don't think you two should be teachin' that lesson," Allie corrected, "You know, because you didn't know what one was and you didn't even think to use one. You can see the irony in this."
"We get it, Allie," Malcolm said.
"Just pointin' it out," she said in her defence.
"Okay, now I'm depressed. Give me a cookie," Malcolm asked.
I moaned, hugging my bag tight.
"No," I whined.
"Please, Tarna. I want a cookie," he said.
"But, they're mine."
That's when he gave me those puppy dog eyes. Say strong Tarna, I told myself, protect what's yours. But with my pregnant brain growing, how could I not.
"There you go," I said giving him the smallest one in the bag.
Graham scoffed, "No wonder you're pregnant."