In Memory

"Richard, promise me you'll start a new life, you'll not let Angel never feel lonely or left out. Let in someone else in your life, be happy always. She turned towards me "Angel! " She said with her motherly voice, it felt like music to my ears. I slowly walked near her. I stood next to her bed. I could sense something was wrong with mom but I didn't think she was dying. I was only five and I was still learning the ways of life and death. She looked at me and gestured me to come closer so she could whisper in my ear. " Angel be a good girl and remember God always has a plan and even if life seems unfair and cruel, don't give up. Just do what you must and leave the rest on God." Those were my mum's last words I still remember them clearly.

Every day since the last 10 years I have been trying to walk on the path she told me and today is my greatest test and maybe a beginning of the worst part of my life. Today my dad is getting married. I don't know a thing about these women.

Yet when last night dad asked me "Angel I want you to meet someone " I knew where it was going so I didn't reply just kept eating my dinner in silence. He looked at for a moment and then let a huff. He might think I'm just another teenager who is probably drooling over a band with no idea of what was going in her dad's life well he is wrong. I always kept watching from afar. I was always watching everyone. I felt like they'll be trouble or danger and I need to watch out for them.

I simply finished my dinner and before going to study I turned back and replied " Dad if you love her and like her. If she can make you happy and look after you. I'm cool with it. Go ahead and propose to her and marry her. You need not worry about me. I'll always be good to her as long as she doesn't try to break our bond. Goodnight dad!"

I took a look at my dad he was shocked. But everything I said I meant it. I will do this for mum. Only for you. I'll be a good girl. I'll be a lady but this woman will have to prove to me she's worthy to take a seat next to my mum in my heart.