03 : Breaking people's ego

💔 Sloan Aphrodisiac 💔

My phone rings while Simrin and I are watching a video.

"Ugh." Simrin groans. "Make it quick."

I stick my tongue out at her although she isn't paying me any attention and answer the call.

"Sloan, I need you to pick Leith up."

My brows furrow and I search the bus, trying to spot Leith. He usually takes the bus with me, but we don't chat or anything, he sticks with his group and I with Simrin. "Isn't he on the bus with me?" I ask and defeatedly slump into my ripped pleather seat when I can't find him.

"No. A friend was supposed to come home with him today, Lars or something of such. They missed the bus because your idiot of a brother forgot to get his friend a bus pass." Mom explained and I stifle a laugh. Ha, unlucky fuck.

"So, the car's at home. I'm having lunch with Ben and he picked me up. The keys are next to the stove." Mom informed and I sigh.

Unlucky fuck to me too, I guess.

I didn't bother trying to get myself out of it and agreed. When I hung up with my mom, Simrin turned to me. "What was that about? You were laughing to yourself like an insane person." Simrin said, unzipping River's hoodie but not taking it off. I found that odd, considering it was like two hundred degrees, and I'd even rolled up my jeans.

"I gotta go pick up Leith and his friend. They missed the bus and mom can't because she's on a date with Benji." I filled her in, referring to mama's five yearlong boyfriend. Benjamin was a goodhearted guy, and he wasn't bad looking for a man his age. To be truthful, I'm waiting for the dude to finally grow some balls and ask ma to marry him. My heart swells at the thought of my mom being so happy again.

"I totally ship Ben and Janine. Hashtag Jen." Simrin squealed. Ben is like family to me and to Simrin too. He's been in my life for just as long as he's been in Simrin's, he was even her tutor at one point.

"This is my stop." I stood up from the seat and Simrin pouted sadly. "Awe, are you gonna miss me, Rinny-Boo?"

"No." She scoffed, "My phone's out of battery and we didn't finish Caspar and Joe's video."

I narrowed my eyes at her and make a face, mimicking her the way Miley and Jackson Cyrus did when they fought. She copies me and this goes on until the bus drove away, but Simrin even ran to the end of the bus and made faces at me until they veered around the corner.

I laughed my way into my house and took my time freshening myself up and grabbing a snack before picking up Leith and his friend.