Beautifully Broken: Chapter Twelve

CHAPTER 12

ADDIE'S POV

A few couple meals, around 12 liters water and a variety of pills later, Julian was back to his charming self.

Preparations for the shows were in full motion, he and I decided that we'd have auditions for the acts for the show right away.

In our next meeting with Prof. Altman, he mentioned that we should have around five main talent acts for the show. He precisely mentioned that they should be classy and lean towards the instrumental side. In between acts there would be an open dance floor where the benefactors and other guests could dance upon arrival and after the dinner.

We already had one act, the Guidacelli Symphony, which was the college's resident orchestra would play. They were well known within the entire state and we were sure more

I had also convinced Julian to do hosting with Lyla. I would stay backstage for the show to coordinate with them although Prof. Altman wanted me to participate in something. I would just have to think of something before the big night.

We held the auditions in one of the classrooms in the Arts and Letters building. So far the only act we had seen that would probably make it to the show was a dance crew made of A.B. Literature students who did an interpretative dance to the song Gravity by Sara Barielles. It was beautiful and we signed them immediately to dance three songs for the night.

A group of freshmen from our class were up next, two pretty blondes, a tall dark haired guy from my investigative jounalism class.

"Names?"" Julian inquired wearily.

He was probably as beat as I was. This was actually the 23rd audition this morning. You'd think just sitting down and watching wouldn't be so painful, well when you have a ratio of 1:22 with one being that golden act, you tend to get anxious.

"My name is Karen, this is Caroline and he's Martin." the taller blonde answered pointing to her companions at the mention of each of their names.

"What do you guys plan on doing?" I asked as I scribbled their names down.

"We're going to sing Adele's Rolling in the Deep," Martin answered, his deep baritone voice giving me hope that they would be one of our acts.

"Which will be mashed up with 'The one that got away by Katy Perry'" the other blonde, Caroline, stepped in and continued his sentence.

Hmmm.. that got me even more interested and as I glanced at Julian, I could see that he was too.

"Okay guys, lets hear it." I said mentally perking up my ears as I had the past few performances.

"There's a fire, starting in my heart, reaching a fever pitch and its bringing me out the dark," Karen began, the fury in her voice crystal clear.

One by one Karen, Caroline, and Martin belted out the lyrics to the two songs, with as much visible effort as they would've with an ordinary conversation but while singing. I was sure that if it was me doing that much singing, I would be gasping in between verses. But most of all it was melodic and coherent but most of all it was full of angst and regret. The three werent just musicians, they were actors, and believable ones at that.

Then in a climacteric finale they belted out the choruses mashed up,

"We could have had it all, rolling in the deep…

In another life I would make you stay, so I don't have to say you were the one that got away..."

I was speechless after their rendition. Do you know the feeling you get when you hear a song and are so touched by it although you can't exactly relate to it? That was what I felt.