Mollen (Part Fifty)

Chapter 50

He was never going to let her leave his sight. It was official; nothing was going to make him lose her again.

"Moll..." She murmured, her head resting gently against his shoulder.

"Yes?" He crooned, staring blankly up at the ceiling.

"This has to stop."

"Trust me." He lifted her arm, entwining his fingers into hers. "It hasn't even started."

Moll wondered if all kings lived such a life of extremes. This morning he had been hardly worthy of life and, now that she was here, he felt as if the whole world had played into his hands. This morning he had been alone. And now he was in love.

If it switched again the stress would kill him.

Moll closed his eyes and tried not to think of Karter. Tried not to wonder whether or not he would see the woman who had raised him again.

"A king cannot love a simple serving woman." Kat criticised but her hands betrayed her heart, stroking gently across his collar bone.

Moll opened his eyes, turning his gaze to her. Again the sight of her face allowed him to forget his sins.

"Then I will make you my queen."

Her lips met his with the natural precision of perfection. She lived her life with an unwavering elegance and it showed in every way.

He would live the rest of his life at her side. Nothing would get in his way.

And then it all shattered.

"What is going on in here?"

The door slammed open.

She launched from his side.

With a weariness that a bespoke an age far surpassing his own, Moll drew himself to his feet. He addressed the portent of his woes.

"That is none of your business, Azra."

As Moll eyed the old man's wrinkled forehead and jowly dewlap, he was filled with disgust. Azra had always been a figurehead for his distaste but this was something different. He had been stupid and close sighted but now, and Victory's conscious squirmed sickeningly as he thought of her, Azra could never be forgiven. Moll wanted the man extricated from his sight. Immediately.

But before he could speak the old politician turned the brunt of his disapproval on Kat. She quaked in the scrutiny. The injustice filled Moll with the hot flush of fury.

The traitorous old fool had no right to be looking at his love at all, let alone with such contempt.

Kat tried to escape but Moll grabbed her wrist. Pulling her back to his side he placed a protective hand on her waist.

"Azra Cormell." He growled. "I want you out of my chambers right now."

Cormell shook his head, entirely unintimidated.

"You have too much to learn and not enough time to do it in. Remember your place, Sante. Get rid of the girl."

The conflict piqued the interest of the sword at his side. She was so treacherous as to turn on the very man that had released her from her glass prison. But Moll would never draw Victory again.

"I will call my guards."

Azra's brow darkened.

"You are a fool." He spat. "A Lord cannot lie with his help and as a king you think you have been waived of this responsibility? This whole world rests on your shoulders and you would throw it away for a few seconds of cheap love?"

"No love is cheap."

Brushing his lips softly against Kat's forehead, Moll guided her onto the bed before he squared up to the politician again.

Azra spoke before he could open his mouth.

"Mollen Sante you are selfish and narrow-minded. I know we don't see eye to eye but I have always respected you. And yet, as your power grows, my confidence dwindles."

Moll's hand rested on Victory's hilt. He did not remember putting it there.

"Katherine." He gestured to where she quailed. "Is my sole anchor to sanity. If it was not for her I would not be where I am today. She is smart, she is wise and I will forever turn to her companionship and advice. If I can take a council consisting of a guard, a slaughterer and an assassin, I can take a humble angel into my heart."

He heard her sharp intake of breath. But Moll was not yet finished.

He took a step toward, loosing Victory in her sheath. He would never draw the sword, but this threat could not hurt.

"You, Azra Cormell." Moll growled. "Have cursed me. This blade is the only axiom of yours I have ever taken. It has inflicted upon me, in less than twelve short hours, more death, pain and regret than a man can bear."

Only a small aspect of Victory's blade was visible to the outside world but at the mention of her heinous feats she caught the sunlight, rolling the glare across her edge as fluidly water. She played with the forces of nature as easily as she toyed with Moll's hand.

"Kat, who holds the second half of my soul, has given me nothing but wisdom and peace. To throw her out of my life would be a sure guarantee of my demise and I would rather kill my own brother than risk her displeasure. This war will spell your downfall old man for you are more ignorant than you believe. And now, if you would be so kind, I am finished with this conversation. Kindly leave lest you be forcibly removed."

As the old politician stormed from his chambers, Moll couldn't help but wonder what this victory would cost him.

But the sun was beginning to set and he did not have to wait long to find out.