Mollen (Part Thirty - Two)

Chapter 32

"I just don't understand."

It was the fifth time he had said it.

Moll sat at a small, circular table, coveting a pint. Kat was at his one shoulder and Yole at the other. The rest of the room had resumed its chatter, although Moll had yet to feel the release of the pressure of constant attention.

Their table was shared by two others, Jared and Pike, big men with whom Moll had already been introduced. They were influential members of the Central Plateau's sub-society, apparently, and had the command of many workers.

"What isn't there to understand, m'Lord?"

"How do these people know who I am? Why are they willing to follow me?"

Pike laughed, it was a deep sound and it shook him all the way through. Moll was not happy with either of his new comrades but of the two, he infinitely preferred Jared.

Whilst Pike continued to spill his drink, Jared, the quieter, leant forward. He was sober, far more sober than Moll, and hadn't touched a drop.

"You've been building yourself up quite well, your Lordship." He said.

"How?!"

Jared leant back, slapping Pike's shoulder.

"Tell 'im what your girl said other day."

"She were most grateful for the copper."

"She said more'n that." Yole interjected. "And the kiddies were much taken by that horse of yours."

"Wait." Moll shook his head, the alcohol was making him cloudy. It was strong homebrew and he'd had a trying day."That girl in the street; she was yours?"

Pike snickered.

"I got a lot of girls." He said.

Moll was so far out of his league here.

"One girl and one copper shouldn't lead to this, though." He gestured to the room. The room packed with his men.

"No, indeed, m'Lord." Yole stood. "Oi, Jik."

He waved at a man in the far corner and, once again, all conversation was brought to a standstill.

"What?" The man asked gruffly.

"Why's you following his Lordship?"

"Speaks good to my boy."

Kat leant into Moll's ear.

"Jik's son works at the castle. I think he's planning on becoming a guard."

"But just speaking to someone's son doesn't mean anything." Moll hissed back.

"You'd be surprised what a little respect does in this world, m'Lord."

Moll wanted to reply but Yole had already picked out another beast of a man.

"What about you, Dyl?" He asked.

"Let us go past in market when me hands were full."

Moll knew the surprise on his face was clear.

"I don't even remember that."

"Doesn't matter, m'Lord." Kat replied to his whisper.

Yole moved on.

"You, Nel."

"Asked me missus about the baby."

"Ben?"