Phoenix - Wolf - Mollen (Part Eleven)

Chapter 11

 He was so tired his feet scuffed the ground as he walked.

Moll made his weary way out into the courtyard. He had already sent his men home so all that stood to greet him was the small stable boy he had left holding his horse.

“Good job, Son.” As he relieved the boy of the reigns, Moll slipped a copper coin discreetly into his palm.

The courtyard was busy with familiar faces but Moll was too tired even to throw a greeting and Kae, his sweating stallion, hardly seemed any better.

“I hear you’re in training to take over my job now, Moll.”

Despite his mood, Moll turned with a smile on his face. Before him stood Karter Popp, the younger son of a well established Cairn family. Karter and Moll had been inseparable from a young age.

Now, in his early twenties, Karter had defied the predictions of third born and had risen high, securing himself in the position of Captain of the Guard.

Moll laughed.

“Guarding a whole world is a little more important than these measly stone walls, Karter.” He jested.

Striding forward for a proper greeting, Karter waved away the admonitions of his subordinates. Moll noticed more familiar faces, Keet, Porter and Jay, amongst others within the crowd of brassy guards who eternally flocked his friend. They flashed a passing greeting before busying themselves.

“We were expecting that batty brother of yours.”

As Karter noticed the fresh worry lines creasing Moll’s brow he pulled up, concern darkening his features.

“Don’t worry.” Moll waved away his unspoken question. “Toran is off gallivanting after his dreams. It was just some of the men I had brought back with me.”

“Good men?”

“They always are, Karter.”

“Anyone I know?”

Moll shook his head.

Finishing his advance, Karter came to a stop on the opposed side of Kae, patting the stallion’s fevered neck affectionately.

“You pushed him hard.” He said.

“I know. But we’re nearly home aren’t we, boy?”

“So what’s your brother up to this time? Found anymore ancient relics? Practicing forgotten player battle disciplines?”

Moll sighed, resting his head against Kae.

“Some scout of his went missing. He thinks he has found her.”

“Found who?”

“Red’s Phoenix.”

“You’re joking!” Karter’s face lit up.

“He will be back in a week or two with some village girl he has taught to hold a sword and I’ll be expected to treat her like royalty.”

Karter couldn’t hold in the laughter any longer.

“Damn right you will.” He looked over the haggard countenance of Moll and his horse. “So get home and be the man in your house while you’ve still got time. You should have been born first Moll.”

Heaving himself up onto the reluctant body of Kae, Mollen was grateful for his friend’s hand on the reigns.

“People just keep telling me that.” He said.