Chapter Twenty-Five - News of Thornwell

Chapter Twenty-Five – News of Thornwell

“Welcome to Thornwell News, I’m Sarah,” the brunette said.

“And I’m Nick,” said the guy beside her.

The school canteen quietened down as the short lunchtime news program aired on the plasma screens. This news program was now the hottest topic among students in the school. It didn’t repeat the news from the big newspapers or news channels but instead picked the topics of interest to the students. It also included the interesting school news and most entertaining stories off the rumour mill.

“First off we have some videos of the disaster in Japan…”

The first video showed the citizens running for their life as the gigantic tsunami wave swept through the town.

While everyone knew of the scale of the disaster in Japan through CNN and BBC, this amateur video still shocked us. It had a personal touch, taken by one of the survivors. The people looked like tiny black dots when compared to the huge wave. The lucky ones got away while others were swallowed up along with houses and cars. There was a minute of silence.

The second one showed dozens and dozens of metal safes were stacked neatly in a garage.

“During the massive post-tsunami cleanup, Japanese citizens have turned in cash and locked safes to the police station...”

“Now, we have an interview with Michael Fitzgerald, the former chairman of the Head Student Council on his opinion on the free school revolution.”

Edward was the one conducting the interview. “Many feel that Thornwell should become one of the first few free schools in our country. What is your opinion on this?”

“The school undoubtedly understands the needs of its students more clearly…”

“Now, let’s have a look at the opinion of our teachers and students.”

“Teachers, not politicians, know best how to run the schools. What’s with the government interfering every now and then?”

Some students didn’t care. “That’s for the teachers and government to decide. Let them do their job.”

“Students are neither mature or knowledgeable enough. Give them too much power and there will be complete anarchy!”

“Parents and teachers can decide what they want for their children and students…”

And so on and so forth…

“So what is your take on free schools? Please leave your comments on our Facebook page,” Edward finished. “Thornwell News @Lunch.”

Edward was the current rising star of this program.