Chapter Sixteen- Surprising Spring

“With the accessibility of the Internet, anyone and everyone will be able to read the school’s electronic newspaper as well as comment and feedback quickly. Any mistake or tactless remark, no matter how small, will gravely damage the school’s reputation,” Secger argued, glaring at Edward.

“I believe that the Editorial Board would be intelligent enough to choose a Chief Editor that was capable of avoiding such mistakes,” Edward interrupted, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

I sighed quietly and quickly scribbled down what they said. The Middle Student Council were having a meeting in the council office. The Chief Editor, Edward, and the IT Representative of the Editorial Club, Avery, were present as well. The reason being the Chairman’s plans involved extensive cooperation from the Editorial Board.

Currently, the Vice-Chairman and the Chief Editor were having a dispute over how much control the student council should have over the school’s new e-newsletter. Secger insisted on the Chairman and Vice-Chairman proofreading every edition of the school newspaper before it was posted online. (I strongly suspected that it had something to do with the commentary on the Middle Student Council that he was highly displeased with.) Edward, however, was adamant that the Editorial Board remained independent of the student council.

As the secretary, my duty was to write down everything, word by word, said during the meeting. Everything. Including Secger’s annoyed comments, Edward’s mocking remarks and their well-veiled insults.

I glanced at my watch as the debate showed no signs of coming to an end. It had been thirty minutes. It was high time we moved on to the next topic.

“Chairman, I think we should vote now,” I told Adrian who was sitting on my right. “We are running behind schedule.” He nodded.

“Since both parties have presented their arguments, we shall now proceed with the voting,” Adrian interrupted a particularly snide comment.

“Only the council members will be voting of course,” Secger added.

“As you wish,” Edward muttered.

Adrian ignored him. “Those in favour of the student council editing the school e-newspaper?” Adrian asked. Secger raised up his hand confidently. Emma, sitting next to him, timidly raised her hand too. The Quartet turned to look at her in surprise.

Emma turned pink. “We should be careful with our words…” she stuttered before trailing off.

“Those in favour of the Editorial Board remaining totally independent?”

Adrian and Edmund immediately raised up their hands. I looked up, frowning. I was the deciding vote, again. I raised my hand. “I vote in favour of the Editorial Board remaining totally independent.” I didn’t have to turn to know that Edward was smirking in triumph.

“But I think we, that is to say, the council, should write up a checklist to ensure that all content in the e-newsletter is appropriate.” It was Secger’s turn to smirk. “But only the basic things are included in. No racism, elitism and so on. No political slanders.” Secger deflated a little.