Chapter Twenty-Three - Lost Time

I've updated! Please vote and/or comment. First Impression facebook page is in external link. I can't get photobucket to work so all the pictures that helped me in writing this chapter will be there :) Do take a look. Now I present

Chapter Twenty-Three – Lost Time

I surveyed my handiwork proudly. The large round bistro table in the balcony of the council office was covered with a light blue tablecloth. Eight white plates were placed around the table, each with a place card bearing the name of the eight people attending. Planning the seating arrangement was a delicate skill. Some people could not be seated next to each other or things were bound to get awkward. And no self-respecting hostess would allow awkward to even step its foot anywhere her tea party.

Moving on, the teacups were carefully placed to the right side of the plate, their handles pointing out to the right. I folded the blue paper napkins in the shape of the fan and rested them in the water glass. A little over the top but the effect was nice.

The white ceramic jug with the pink myrtle flowers was the centrepiece. Three brown plates held my Madeleine cookies. Emma’s handmade jelly was wobbling on a glass cake stand. Edmund had brought ice cream and brownies. Secger brought the tea.

I looked at my watch. It was almost time. Mademoiselle, Edward and Avery would be arriving anytime now. The Middle Council was already here. No, Adrian wasn’t here yet. That was strange. He usually arrived early to meetings.

Speak of the devil. Adrian burst through the doors, his clothes and hair slightly dishevelled. He made a beeline for Edmund and they talked in hushed tones.

The guests arrived soon after. Adrian had tidied up by then and courteously pulled out the chair for Mademoiselle. Secger did the same for Emma. I served everyone tea and then sat down myself.

As we ate, we fell into an easy conversation about a wide variety of topics, school, extra-curricular activities, the Spring Gala and so on. I noticed another abnormality. Adrian was not contributing to the conversation at all. Instead, the dish of Madeleine cookies in front of him was being emptied at an astonishingly fast rate.

I subtly kicked his leg, hoping he’d get the hint. It didn’t work and minutes later, the plate was empty. Oh well, at least he would stop eating now. And maybe start talking.

Edmund placed another plate of Madeleine cookies in front of Adrian. “He hasn’t eaten lunch yet, you know,” Edmund explained while I watched my cookies being attacked. It was heartening to see that they were so appreciated.

Mademoiselle seemed very fond of the Madeleine cookies too. “These petite Madeleine are so light and spongy. Just like those that my mother used to make for tea when I was around your age,” she commented. “They bring back the old memories.”

“Madeline cookies have a way of doing that don’t they?” Edward remarked. “Especially when dipped in tea. They send you in search of lost time.”

“The episode of the Madeleine in Marcel Proust’s novel ‘In Search of Lost Time’?” Secger raised his eyebrows.