Chapter 14

The high school yard was full of rampant students everywhere. Jake stood silently by himself with his arms crossed, as he watched his fellow classmates goof around in front of the school building. He leaned against the side of his car thinking about how he was going to face the awkward school day ahead of him.

He was absolutely nervous about everything. How was he going to convince Kassidy that he had changed because he had a dream about her? There was no way she would ever believe something silly like that! Especially after what he did yesterday, the first day of school, acting like a two year old toddler who didn't want to sit next to the freak.

She's going to think I'm crazy ...Jake thought to himself, as he watched some fellow football players throw a football to each other.

Just then, out of the corner of his eye, he spotted her. Kassidy was walking beside Dawn as the two of them made their way to the front of the school building, her beautiful golden blonde hair blowing gently in the wind as she walked. The two friends sat together on the steps as they talked with another, Jake watched them from afar.

Jake felt something in his heart the very moment he caught glimpse of her walking to the school building. Happiness. Fear. Love. He just couldn't breathe and his whole body felt like stone.

That look she had in her eyes, it was the same look she had in his dream. There was pain in those blue eyes of hers, a terrible pain that nobody knew of, because of the mask that covered over it.

A precious heart that was broken. From years of bullying and abuse.

Just go and try to talk with her Jake...Everything will be alright...Hopefully... He told himself over and over in his mind.

Mustering up enough courage to at least get his feet to move, Jake slowly made his way across the school yard towards Kassidy. He didn't care who was watching him, or how it would affect his reputation talking to the freaky girl, all that was behind him once and for all.

Jake tried to form a plan in his mind about what he would say to her. He came up with all kind of things to say, but none of them were any good to him.

The popular jock had his mind fully focused on what it was he would say to her at the moment, that he didn't even notice that the girl had her eyes on him as well.

But the moment he did notice she was looking at him, he stopped dead in his tracks.

What Jake couldn't stand to see, was the look on her face. Complete fear of him.

They just stared back at one another. The fear growing more on her face. It was very awkward for both of them.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, Kayla ran up to Jake, and started to shout in his face.

"Jake! Why haven't you answered my phone calls and text messages!? I've been trying to talk to you all morning!"That's all Kayla was good for. Ruining everything.

"Kayla, get out of my way, before I make you."

Jake didn't want anything to do with her ever again. He was breaking up with her, for real this time.

"What's wrong with you Jake!? Why are you talking to me this way!? I'm your girlfriend for crying out loud! Your not supposed to talk to me like that!"

"Your not my girlfriend anymore!" Jake yelled back into her face.

"WHAT!? Your breaking up with me!? What did I ever do to deserve this?" Kayla shoved Jake.

"Let's just say that I've seen the real you Kayla. And you are one ugly person."

Kayla just stood there, tears forming in her brown eyes and her chin quivered. Then suddenly, the popular burst into tears and smacked Jake across the face as she started to scream at him again making the whole school yard of students stare at the scene of the irritated ex-couple.