The truth behind the lies

AN: I apologise in advance for this massive information dump, but it forms the peak of the story. Some new characters will be introduced soon, so let me know what your thoughts are on this chapter :) xx

I stumbled back, shocked at Jim's words. There was no way that my dad had a brother, especially one as annoying as Jim. I was overwhelmed by memories of my dad, trying to piece together the new information I had received. I just couldn't comprehend that Jim was related to my dad.

"He chose you specifically," Jim said coolly, snapping me out of my daze.

"What the hell are you on about?" I replied, confusion swirling in my head.

"I think it's time we went for a little walk," Jim said as the door swung open, the two buff guys returning yet again. They grabbed an arm each and we went down the now familiar hallway, stopping at a white door. One of the men opened the door to reveal a rickety spiral staircase that groaned under our weight as we made our way up. The staircase led to a platform that held a door, this time coloured blue.

The two buff men knocked and opened the door, shoving me inside before slamming the door shut. I caught myself and looked around, surprised to see some sort of office, which I guessed belonged to Jim. Straight in front of me was an elongated window that covered the wall, giving a view of the whole complex. A white board covered in writing blocked some of the view, holding an air of importance. There were two parallel bookcases that ran alongside the walls on my left and right. Finally, in the centre was a large wooden desk that was covered in sheets of paper and held a black microphone on the left hand side. Sitting behind the desk was a middle aged man with a withered face, rimmed glasses perched on the edge of his nose. His lips turned up in an attempt of a smile as he gestured to the seat positioned in front of his desk.

" You look so much like your father," he murmured, scanning over me with appreciation as I took a seat in front of his large desk.

I rolled my eyes and replied, " Cut to the chase Jim, I don't have all day."

Jim's smile faltered and he let out a sigh, his shoulders slumping down in exhaustion, showing a rare moment of vulnerability.

"I think it's time you found out why you were given those wings," He said, removing his glasses and rubbing his eyes. I sat still, waiting for him to continue.

"When you were a youngster, your father used to work at Evolution Science, a lab devoted to discovering new formula's and treatments. He worked alongside a man named Rory, who had similar aspirations to your father. After months of research, your father had a breakthrough in a Formula he said would change the world. Rory begged him to reveal what was in it, but your father refused, wanting to keep it secret. Rory grew jealous and tried to steal the Formula from your father, but it ended in disaster." Jim paused, as if reliving the memory.

"Feeling ecstatic with his findings, your father left Evolution Science, but by then it was too late. Before he left, Rory poisoned your father, who died from the effects shortly afterwards. Before he died, your father gave the formula to me, making me promise that I give it to you when you were old enough. I was able to replicate the formula and use it on others, but no one had powers as strong as yours."

My mind reeled, confused by the information I was receiving. I tried to find proof that Jim was lying, but it all seemed to fit. My fathers autopsy showed traces of a drug that had been injected into his system and stopped his heart. It was like finding a piece of a jigsaw puzzle that had never been completed, and trying to find its spot amongst the other pieces.

"What happened to Rory?" I asked hesitantly, afraid of the answer. Jim sighed yet again, his expression turning grim.

"Rory knew part of your fathers formula and made almost an exact replica. He's been trying to find the missing ingredient ever since," Jim replied, waiting for my reaction to this information.

Rory was alive and was trying to steal the formula, the formula my dad created that turns normal people into super humans. The formula that Rory has replicated except for one ingredient; a secret ingredient.

"OK," I said hesitantly, one more question on my mind. "How do I fit into all of this?"

After hearing my question, Jim began shuffling through the papers that covered his desk, his hands frantically searching for a particular sheet. His large, wrinkled hands landed on a sheet that he pulled out and handed to me as he began speaking once again,

"During his research, your father discovered you had a slightly different DNA structure. He designed the formula around your DNA structure so that it could have optimum effects on you. You are the strongest superhuman to of been created using this formula, and you're our only hope."

Only hope. Those two words repeated in my hand, sending me into a trance. Only hope against what? What has my dad gotten me into? I decided to voice some of my questions, wanting answers as soon as possible.

"Only hope against what? What exactly are we up against here?" I voiced, leaning forward in my seat as I eagerly awaited answers.

Jim abruptly stood up and walked towards the whiteboard behind his desk, gesturing me to follow. I scraped my chair back and followed, standing in front of the whiteboard with my arms crossed across my chest.

" We call it, Scientists against the Government. We, obviously, represent the scientist side. Rory, who has a career as an agent working for the Government, represents the Government side. This battle has been brewing since your father passed away and now that you have the Formula in your blood streams, we are one step closer to winning," Jim finished, pointing to different sections of the whiteboard that was covered in information. I couldn't quite believe the mess my dad had gotten me into, it was unbelievable.

"And there's one more thing you should know," Jim said, pausing as he watched me brace myself for this information, " Matt has known all along."

AN: DUN DUN DUN! Apologies for this massive information dump........but what do you think?? Jim's actually a nice guy, and there's a new character. Please let me know what you think and vote if you enjoyed it :) Thanks for reading xx ~ Ashily101