The city

I couldn't breath, the wind pushing forcefully into my lungs so it was impossible to take a gasp of air. I knew my time was running out and all I could do was watch in awe as the traffic continued whizzing by, oblivious to the fact that I was plummeting to my death. With a final prayer, I shut my eyes and braced for impact, hoping with all my might that I would make it out alive.

But impact never came. Time ticked on as I slowly peeled open my eyes, surprised to no longer be faced with the cold, hard streets of New York, but rather the skyscrapers that surrounded this marvellous city. I let out a shrill laugh and spun around, not quite believing my luck. They actually worked! I turned my head and glanced back at the feathers that were effortlessly gliding me through the air, the wind ruffling them and making them stand up on end.

This was amazing! It was like an invisible wire was holding me up; I couldn't quite believe that I was being held by a bunch of feathers sprouting from my back. I scanned my surroundings and pulled up, skimming along the surface of a glass skyscraper, looking at the people inside as they sipped their coffee, not a care in the world. I wish I could go in and ask for a cup of coffee but I had to find the apartment building with Matt on it. Which is a shame because I really feel like a cup of coffee.

The thing with New York is that all the buildings look more or less the same. Or maybe that's just me, I've never really been that great with directions and I guess flying doesn't really change that. Dang flabbit* where is it? I glanced to my right and my eyes connected with a bright burst of light causing them to go blurry, which is never a great thing when your flying above a super busy city. Panic spread through my body as I blinked several times, trying to clear the blurriness that had taken over my vision.

I could make out the outline of a tiny figure and I focused solely on that, hoping it would guide me to safety. I zoomed in closer and before I knew it, I felt hard concrete slam against my feet, making me lose balance and fall flat on my face. Ouch. I let out a groan and pushed my body up, wincing slightly with embarrassment. Only I could face plant after an experience like that.

"Ali,is that you?" Asked a familiar voice. I rolled my eyes at his question.

"No, it's superman," I replied, standing up and turning to face an awe struck Matt who was still clutching the video camera. He better of caught that on film.

"That was so awesome! See, I told you it would work!" He said, excitement filling his voice as he watched over the film on the video camera.

"Yeah it was awesome, right after the part were I almost died. You better of gotten that all on film because I am not doing that again," I muttered, smoothing out my wind blown hair in an attempt to look slightly human. I sighed and gave up, following Matt to the stairs that would lead us back into the building. Before going down the stairs, I glanced around once more, wondering what the flash that had blinded me earlier was. Biting my lip, I decided to forget about it for now and I continued following a talkative Matt back to our apartments.

As soon as we got back to my apartment door, my wings folded against my back, making them less visible. I guess if I used the wings on a regular basis, then they would fold away instead of protruding quite obviously from my back. Matt continued blabbing on about the flight before I suddenly remembered the flash and interrupted him.

" hey Matt, did you see any weird flashes when I was flying?" I asked, theories already swarming my head. Matt thought for a moment before shaking his head, confusion etched across his features.

"No, maybe it was just a part of the whole wing thing," he replied casually, motioning to the feathers that were pressed against my back. I nodded before claiming to be tired and scurrying inside, an idea sketched into my head.

I had been so pre-occupied lately that I had sort of forgotten about university and my passion for art. I need a way to combine art with this new me, and I knew exactly what to do.

Every superhero needs a costume.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello!

Sorry that I've haven't updated in a while, my teachers decide to give me piles of home work so I've been sort of pre-occupied. So I wanted to thank you guys for getting me over 300 reads, thanks for all your support I really appreciate it :) I know this is a short chapter but I'm trying to get back into the swing of this story......anyways please let me know what you think, vote and comment and everything :) thanks for reading!!

~Ashily101 xo

* dang flabbit is just an expression I use :P sort of like bugger or damn

P.s. this chapter is dedicated to a good friend of mine, so please check out her stories! rachelkathryn11 is a fantastic writer so go check out her story 'Invincible'

Xoxo