Prologue

I never really like the colour yellow, to me it symbolises dullness and boredom, which I can't stand. So standing here, at the New York City international airport in the freezing cold waiting for a yellow taxi, is quite frustrating. If I could decide the colour of taxi's, I would make it much more personalised. Maybe some graffiti art or something equally as creative sprawled along the side.

I've been standing here for 10 minutes waiting for a stupid taxi to notice me flailing my arms around like a weirdo. Maybe they're all just ignoring me on purpose. If I were a taxi driver, I would definitely do that. Drive past all the people flagging you down and just wave at them. Oh the hilarity. Finally, a taxi decided to roll next to me, climbing out of the drivers seat to help me put my luggage in the boot. I was surprised to see a young man, I'm thinking mid twenties, climb out of the drivers seat. His jet black hair ruffling in the icy wind. "Can I give you a hand?" He asked politely, gesturing to my three large, red suitcases sitting on the pavement. Nah mate, you can give me a foot, I thought sarcastically. Biting my tongue, I smiled politely and nodded, watching as he lifted my heavy suitcases as if they were as light as a feather.

After packing the boot, I climbed into the passenger seat, waiting for the driver to settle in his seat.

Flashing me a smile, he asked, " Where to madam?"

Madam? What am I, your mother? I smiled back before replying, " 23rd Avenue south...I think," I said, trying to sound confident despite having absolutely no idea where I was going. He nodded curtly before pulling out into the painstakingly slow traffic. Oh joy.

Half an hour of cursing and flipping the finger later, we finally pulled up at the familiar apartment block.

" Thank you," I said , giving the guy his money before climbing out and grabbing my suitcases.

By familiar, I mean hours of staring at it on Google earth to try and familiarise myself with its layout. Ah the wonders of the Internet. Turning towards the crumbling building I let out a sigh, suddenly not so sure about my decision to move across the world just to attend a good university. Too late to turn back now I guess. With that, I grabbed my luggage and heaved myself, with difficulty, up the stairs towards the front entrance of the apartment block.

Pushing the doors open, I stumbled into the foyer, quickly adjusting myself and walking, what I hoped was gracefully, to the front desk. The receptionist gave me a scowl as she glanced up from what looked like a game of angry birds. With a nose like that, she could definitely pull off a role in that game. Her blonde hair fell lifelessly to her shoulders, split ends clearly visible. Her face reminded me of a hawk, with beady brown eyes and a pointy beak, I mean nose, she seemed like a spiteful person.

"Name?" She shot at me, squinting her eyes judgementally. Well good morning to you too.

"Alice Gregory," I replied in a cheerful tone, trying to be the better person. She sneered and turned back to her computer, viciously hitting the keys as she typed in my name.

She grabbed a pair of keys and slapped them on the counter before saying, "Room 371." Someone needs a lesson in customer service. Taking the keys and muttering a thanks, I once again grabbed my suitcases and hauled them towards the elevator. Pressing the button and climbing inside as the stupid piano music filtered from the speakers. Was it supposed to make the ride more enjoyable, or just piss everyone off? I mean would it kill them to play something, oh I dunno, modern? Hurriedly escaping the confinements of the elevator, I walking through the narrow hallway, looking for my door.

The hallways were painted an off white, peeling paint flaking hopelessly onto the brown carpet beneath. I came to a halt as I read the three digits that marked the door of new home. Here goes nothing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: new story!! Chapter one is over so please let me know what you think! I tried to make it detailed but I think it will take me some time to get used to a new story...anyways I really hoped you guys liked it so PLEASE comment and vote :) and yes this will eventually be a super hero Fiction :D ~ ashily101

P.s. thanks for reading xo