Chapter 1

It was the start of another school year.

And Kassidy was not looking forward to it. Every year it was the same thing, she would get bullied and teased by all the kids in school.

As she walked down the street, she ignored all the popular kids driving by in their expensive, new cars. Some of them shouted rude things to her as they drove by. She paid them no attention, after all, this was nothing new to her. Kassidy wasn't rich, so, she couldn't afford to buy new cars like them to drive to school. If only I was rich... Kassidy thought to herself.

Her thoughts were interrupted by someone honking their car horn.

"Hey, Freak!" The girl shouted out bitterly as she drove into a puddle of muddy water on the side of the road, splashing Kassidy with the dirty water. Everyone in the car errupted with laughter as they sped down the street.

"Kayla!" Kassidy growled as she watch the automobile full of laughing girls speed on down the street.

Kayla was the most popular girl in the whole school. She was a bleach blondie who thought she, herself, was the prettiest girl on the face of Grand Ridge. She was rich, spoiled and mean to anyone who she considered "freaks."

Unfortunately, for Kassidy, she was Kayla's favorite person to pick on. Even when they were little kids, in first grade, Kayla terrorized and would push her down, call her mean and hurtful names, and sometimes, Kayla and her friends would try to gang up on Kassidy and beat her up! But, the thing that hurt the worst was when Kayla called her fat. Because, when Kassidy was younger she was a bit pudgy. That was what started all the bullying. And over the years, it had gotten worse. Kassidy had become self conscious and hid away from the world. She had started wearing baggy clothes to hide her figure and the bruises.

Things didn't get better for Kassidy when she came home from school either. Most of the time, it got worse. Her father was just as mean to her as anyone else. When Kassidy was 8 years old, her mother died of a deadly illness leaving her father depressed.

He turned to a life of drinking, and eventually, drug abuse. Through blind drug and alcohol fueled rage, he turned abusive towards Kassidy. Everyday of her life was like a nightmare that she would never wake up from.

Kassidy had made it to school finally, and looked all over the school yard for her best friend Dawn."Kassidy! Over here!" She heard her call out her name and followed the sound of her voice until she spotted her setting on the steps in front of the school building.

"Hey, Dawn!" Kassidy waved before running to meet the girl, not bothering with the rude looks and snickers from the other students. It wasn't until Kassidy got closer that Dawn noticed she had mud on her clothes.

"Kassidy, what happened to you?"

"One word..." Kassidy said as she turned her head to glare at the bright blonde across the school yard, who was apparently making fun of her being broke, because all the students around her turned to laugh, point, and make faces at Kassidy.

"Kayla..." Kassidy hissed through clenched teeth all the while rolling her eyes in disgust. Soon the bell rang for the students to go to class. The good thing was, Kassidy and Dawn had first hour together, which was science.

The first rule about getting bullied is NEVER sit by who bullies you. Which, in this case was just about everyone in the class. So, naturally, Kassidy and Dawn sat next to each other in the back of the classroom.

In all the science classrooms, instead of the traditional desk, had tables with two seats behind it all facing the front of the classroom. Kassidy sat there and watched all the file into the classroom, hoping the blonde, snobby brat would not walk through the door. Of course, luck was not on her side, and Kayla walked through the door as if she expected everyone to stand, clap, and cheer as she walked to a table with two empty seats.

"Oh, great..." Kassidy murmured to herself.

Then, she noticed the tall guy enter right behind Kayla, Jake, Kayla's long time on-off boyfriend.

Jake was the most popular, athletic, and eye-catching boy in the entire school. Kassidy's heart fell. Because, there were times when Jake would be worse than Kayla... This is gonna be one long, torturous year... Kassidy thought to herself as everyone found a seat.

The room grew louder, and louder. And suddenly, an older, freshly cut, grown man rushed in. He said nothing, just stared with frustrated expression at his new students, until he shouted to the top of his lungs, "QUIET!" The room instantly went silent.

It was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. Mr. Kidwell was known for being a very strict teacher. He spoke again.

"You all just failed your first test." The students all looked back at the middle-aged teacher with very puzzled looks.

"And what would that be?" Kayla spoke-up in a sweet voice that made Kassidy want to throw up her eggs.

"Your seating arrangements..." He snapped back at Kayla. Kassidy thought she might come to like this teacher. Groans from the whole classroom errupted. Kassidy's heart began to beat fast in her chest.

She had a bad feeling about this. It's not like Dawn and I talk a lot during class... Maybe I won't get moved away from Dawn.

Kassidy thought as she started to have hope. Her thoughts were interrupted by her teacher's voice calling her best friend's name.

"Dawn..." Mr. Kidwell started... "You will sit by Lilly." Dawn, was lucky...Lilly was popular AND nice. She was kind hearted...not black hearted like Kayla.

Dawn glanced over at Kassidy and silently, without protest, got up and moved. She didn't want to leave her...but... Dawn took the seat next to the sweet girl, who immediately turned to smile at her. Dawn shyly smiled back. At least she won't get bullied... Kassidy thought as Mr. Kidwell marked on the seating chart. Who will be taking Dawn's seat? Kassidy wondered...

Please don't let it be Kayla or Ja-

"Jake," The teacher began, "You will sit next to..."

Please say Nathan! Anyone besides me!

"Kassidy." The sentence had been spoken and Kassidy's heart filled with dread.

"WHAT?" Jake and Kayla were surprised! "You can't be serious! Is...is this a prank?" Jake screamed in a voice with so much anger it reminded Kassidy of her father. Everyone was now staring at Jake.

"Oh, I'm serious, Jake. Either you can move without another word or if you have an issue with this seating arrangement, I'll let you take up with Principal Starling. Now, MOVE!" The skinny man pointed sharply to the back of the room. "Ergh!" Jake growled as he threw his stuff onto the table he had been assigned to.

The football players in the class snickered as Jake sat next to the "freaky," blue eyed blonde. Neither said a word... Mr. Kidwell assigned the other kids new seats, but, neither one paid attention. They both only cared about what they wanted, and this, wasn't it.

Kassidy just sat their and thought how much this boy must hate her guts, and Jake just sat there and worried about his status going from "athletic stud" to "freaky dud." Kassidy felt humiliated, and wanted to disappear. So did Jake. He didn't want to be seen with a freak like her.