Abbigail

BEEP BEEP

"Hey, Abby here. I unfortunately can't pick up my phone right now, but please leave a message after the tone. Thanks."

BEEP

She took a breath again. Abbigail was according to Rosetta going to be the easiest one to say goodbye to. They had only known each other for a couple of months, but she still felt like she owed Abbigail a goodbye. They sat together in German class, even though none of them should probably have chosen German in the first place. Every day Abbigail asked how it was going. It was the first thing that happened whenever Rosetta entered the class. She didn't seem to ask anyone else. Once Rosetta had asked why she only asked her, and she had answered, "You seem like you need it."

That was true. She did need that somebody asked how she was doing. In the beginning she had answered that she was fine, but slowly she had begun to open up a little bit.

"Shit," she whispered and actually began speaking. "It's Rosetta. Thanks for always asking how I'm doing. You're right, I did need that." Rosetta took a deep breath. She did indeed take many deep breaths, since it was how she always fought nervousness and sadness.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry for not being the friend you wanted me to be." Her fingers bored deeper into per palm. "Good luck with university," she whispered and ended the call. Her body slid down the wall, until she ended up sitting on the floor. "I did it." It was just a slight whisper. "I did it," she whispered again. Then Rosetta Miller looked up again and left the pay booth.