Chapter Thirty-Two

Niall/Liam (I don't even know anymore...)

"Is it okay if I call you Nana and Grandpa?"

The tentative smile on Chloe's face as she spoke caused Karen and Geoff to smile in turn, lifting some of the weight off of Niall's shoulders as one of his biggest worries faded into nothingness. Chloe's bright smile and willingness to chatter on to Karen and Geoff and their willingness to listen to her pretty much brought an end to Niall's 'what-if-they-don't-like-us' fears and provided him wth the rare opportunity to watch his daughter smile and laugh and charm her way into other people's hearts, in a manner that reminded him so much of the way her father had worked his way into Niall's.

Chloe could be enchanting, but Niall of all people already knew that. Liam, however, was watching her with a look that was both equal parts amazement and hurt.

Which, Niall figured, was a result of the fact that Chloe had been around Liam for what was almost a couple of months, what with the meetings before October half-term and throughout November, and was yet to really give him more than an awkward hug and strained conversation around a Disney movie. Chloe's hesitancy to warm up to Liam in no way stopped her when it came to his parents or even his dog, though. Chloe's fondness for, or borderline obsession with, the husky was probably the only reason she'd really initially agreed to today, though the seven-year-old was now happily chatting with Karen, asking about baking with her, something Niall's own mother didn't really do, or telling Geoff about her swimming classes, her preoccupation with Liam's parents leaving Niall and Liam hovering awkwardly, eventually retreating to his kitchen as Chloe continue to talk.

"She loves them." Sliding a mug of coffee across to Niall, Liam gave him a wry smile, gesturing in the direction of his living room where Chloe was sat on the floor happily entertaining his parents as he spoke, well aware of the caution smile on Niall's face as he repeated himself. "She loves them. Already."

Taking a sip of his drink, Niall nodded, raising an eyebrow at Liam and watching him as he slumped against the counter. "She does. She's also pretty infatuated with your dog."

"Loki loves her too." Resting his head in his hands, Liam dropped so he was leaning fully against the counter, narrowly avoiding knocking over his own coffee as he let out a quiet groan, trying to keep the jealousy out of his voice as he said, "She loves them. They're gonna be wrapped around her little finger by the end of the day."

"Hmm." Waiting for Liam to get to his point, Niall nodded again, taking a sip of his coffee and making another noncommittal humming sound as he looked over at Liam, setting his drink down and reaching over to him as Liam's smile finally crumbled.

Running a hand through his hair, Liam suppressed another groan and tried to keep his chin up as he glanced back in the direction of the living room, where his mum could be heard laughing at something Chloe, who seemed to hate him, had said, sighing as he looked down at Niall. "It's only fair, though. That Mum and Dad get that much of her. They deserve to have their own granddaughter actually want to know them. They didn't ask to spend the last seven years not knowing her."

"Neither did you." Reaching out and squeezing Liam's arm, Niall was reminded of the conversation they'd had weeks ago back on a street corner, the anger he'd hand back then seemingly absent as he said, "You didn't know. You weren't there, Liam, but that wasn't necessarily by choice. You deserve to know her too, you know. You didn't ask to miss out on the last seven years."

Catching Niall's hand, Liam briefly linked their hands together before letting go, picking his mug up and taking a sip of his drink, using it as a distraction from the words still hanging between them for a while before he said, "I was still gone, Niall. And it's still my fault."