Prologue

"What do you mean, you're not coming back? Liam- the show ended, surely you can come back. I get that your parents invited you home but- Okay. Okay. Yeah, I'll talk to you soon. Love you t-"

Liam hung up then, causing Niall to drop the phone, cursing him out and glaring as he paced around his room for a moment before he flopped face down on his bed against his cushions, careful to avoid looking in the mirror.

*****

"That sounds great, Li. They sound really cool. I know. I can't believe all this either... Any chance you're heading back this way soon? I get it, yeah, you're super busy. It's okay. I love you."

Hanging up, Niall pulled on his jumper, tugging it down over his stomach and sighing as he turned back to the picture in front of him; running his thumb over the fuzzy little image before he reached up and wiped his face with his sleeve as his vision started to mist.

*****

"Li. Hey.... I get it, you're busy. No, I suppose this can wait. That sounds amazing, I'm thrilled for you. Your aunt asked me to send over the things you left over here, is it okay if I mail them directly to you? Great. Yeah, I love y-"

It took Niall a second to realise that Liam had ended the call and a further few seconds to remember how to breathe, picking up the latest onesie he'd bought and running his fingers across the material. He looked down at his stomach and sighed, throwing his phone down and calling Liam every name under the sun until he calmed down enough to turn to face the bags of baby clothes he'd yet to put away.

*****

Rocking the crib with one hand, Niall reached down and adjusted his daughter's onesie, tucking her blanket around her before pressing a kiss to her forehead, turning back to looking out of the kitchen window, the only window in his flat that actually had a view.

After a while, he picked his phone up from where he'd left it, scrolled through his contacts list, stopping once he reached Liam's number and hesitating for only a second before he managed to press delete.