Chapter 17

A/N: Sorry for the long wait, but I've got college now guys! Long waits might very well, sadly, become a norm.

I love all you dedicated people that make me smile!

Read away!

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

 Inked

Even with the tight security of a gated community, it had been hard to keep Roza out of the public eye.  Both Claire and I had worked hard to keep her safe and secret, our efforts doubling when William came into the picture.  But the moment William announced that he was bringing her with us, it was just a matter of time.  

Maybe Claire and I could have kept her away and separate even a little bit longer, but William insisted.  He thought it was important to try and ease Ro into it.  Key word: try.  Because once his fans get the smallest bite…

We could only hide so many things, and a girl wrapped in the arms of the William Edwards was not one of them.  

~James Phillips

*September 3, 2013*

I woke to the sound of angry whispers coming from the room over.  Lifting my head from the couch, it took me but a second to decipher each, as the tones were as familiar as they were passionate.

“If Claire heard so much as a word-” James’ tense and worried scolding was interrupted by a voice I knew better than my own.

“Relax.  Mate, she won’t find out,” William’s tone was full of dismissal and James jumped on it.

“It isn’t just that, Will! Roza is not an object for you to show off, like another of your blond bimbos; she is not a prize that you have won!  Not to mention the fact that she’s too damaged to-” he was cut off once again.

“You think that I don’t know that!” anger coursed through each syllable, his calm facade shattered.  Will took a breath and cussed under it before continuing, “What am I supposed to do, James?!  It’s been established that I have to stay with her, and my tour starts tomorrow, which means, that unless I miss about a hundred concerts, she has to come.  This is obvious to me; I just don’t get why it’s not obvious to you and Claire.  The one thing you do seem to get is the public.  And you’re right, it’s not going to be pretty.  That’s why it has to be tonight.  James, the paps are going to tear her apart as it is and I’m just supposed to stand back and let it happen, all at once?! Without any public protection?!”

“Listen, William-”

“No, you listen, James.  I’m doing the best I can with what I’ve got and I’d really appreciate if all of you would get off my back.  I’m trying to do what is best for her, and right now, that’s taking her to Ed’s bloody party, whether she’ll be comfortable or not.”

“William-”

“Do you think this is easy for me?!  Do you think I want to drag her, of all people, to a club?!  No matter how small the party, no matter how exclusive, I would spare her this, James, but. I. Can’t.  Because if she can’t cope with one of Asim’s little parties, then I can’t bare to think what will happen when she gets of a plane with a hundred thousand fans waiting outside.”

William fell silent and there was long pause as James collected himself, shocked at his friend’s outburst and raw emotion, but he didn’t get a chance to respond.  I couldn’t hold myself back any longer and the moment William caught sight, James didn’t even have to turn around to know it was me; Will’s entire expression transformed.  He immediately strode towards me, his posture straight and sure. I looked up at him, towering over me, and I was at once mesmerized.