Epilogue

Ten Years Later
"Danny! What I said about not finishing your food?!" Ashley screamed from the kitchen and not so far away I heard a muffled groan and little stomping footsteps.
"I don't like carrots." Was his spoiled answer, mouth jutting out in a pout, green eyes glassy.
Ash huffed, "Well, I don't like it too but you don't see me leaving it untouched." She threw back.
"Fineeeee." He drawled, sitting on the stool, trying to eat his carrot.
It was peacefully silent for a second then—"What about we get a rabbit so every time Dad cook something with carrots I can give it to the rabbit instead! It won't be wasting food right?" He perked up at the idea, hitting his spoon repeatedly on his plate.
"Well, unfortunately we already have two dogs, three cats, one spoiled baby princess and one little brat so I don't think that's possible." I chimed in helpfully.
Ash rolled her eyes at me, flicking sphagetti sauce from her plate, it landed on my face.
I stared at her, Really?
"FOOD FIGHT!" Danny screamed, green eyes blazing. Before it can start though mom barged in, calling my name like her tongue was on fire.
"You left your phone in the bathroom! There's an emergency—" I took the phone and talked.
My eyes met Ash's, a long time ago, a phone call like this will make her eyes dim and her strong gaze to waver— but not anymore.
She have come a long way and so was I.
Now, the gaze that met mine from across the room, across a comical looking yellow dining table was gentle, understanding and unbelievably strong.
I ended the call and smiled at her, tilting my head, a habit that I got from her. I smiled at her hopefully, wanting to catch a ride.
"I'll drop you off at the airport." She rolled her eyes at me with a grin, pulling Danny grabby hands away from her long hair. "My shift is at three at the hospital."
She shrugged off her apron that's full of white splatter, the smell of burning brownies in the background. She winced, "Mom, will you get that? We're in a hurry! Okay? Yeah, bye!"
With Danny playing an assembly on the dining table and Grandfather covered in smoke of burning brownies, we left the house in chaos. In the other room I can hear mom shocked, scandalized voice.
I laughed in the wind.
Ash glared at me, opening the car door and pushing me inside. "Don't laugh. Thank god mom's here or that mini-me will create tornados in the kitchen." She put on her seatbelt, "Hang tight."
A long time ago, as Ashley played the piano for my Grandfather, I had closed my eyes and dreamed of our future, of a little boy with Ashley's eyes, a little girl with blue eyes. Grandfather will play with them in the backyard and bounced them on his knee. Mom would be there, keeping a sharp eye over their antics.
It had came true.
Ashley became a nurse. Grandfather stayed with us for a couple of months every year, mom came over almost everyday since Ashley's old house was just around the corner and Ashley was more than happy to leave our little troublemakers on her as we run around like kids— Big kids with jobs and responsibilities.
With my previous experience in the army, I have become a consultant to the force, whenever they need me, they'll call me in but without the added danger of being in the frontlines.
Everything does fall into place, eventually.
I grinned. I didn't know what I've done to deserve all this, I must have done something right in my young years of fumbling around, getting those around me sad.
But I did it and the proof was in front of me.
Finally, we were here, together, grinning from ear to ear. A strong yet thin red thread binding our fate together, for everything and for the years to come.
I leaned in, "What? You seriously kissing me right now?" She asked, incredulous, almost laughing.
I just kept grinning and hummed. "Yup."
She laughed before I can, then the car sped up and I was thrown back to the seat.
We laughed the whole way, free like children. 

THE END