Chapter 8

I had school today which I dreaded so much. All I wanted to do was sleep. 

There's nothing I look forward to anymore. I haven't seen Luke in awhile, and that makes me feel alone. I don't even know if my friends are my friends anymore, I don't have the same lunch periods nor classes with them so we kind of drifted away. 

After math ended, I slung my huge gray Jansport backpack over one shoulder and walked down the stairs to the cafeteria. 

I forget there was another step on the staircase and tumble over. One person in jeans and a red v-neck glances at me, looking like he was about to burst into laughter. I sigh and quickly get up before my face starts to turn tomato red. Now, I really wish I could get out of here. 

It's hard to explain, but I'm just having one of those days where I don't want to be around people. I just want to stay home and make it all go away. 

Instead of heading to the cafeteria, I change directions and head out the front doors of the school. I lean against one of the brick walls of the school and take out my jelly sandwich which was kept in a plastic container. I start munching on it, taking off the crusts. I take out my phone and start checking my messages which are usually just from Luke or my mom. 

Luke: I hope you're doing well today. :)

Me: I hope you are too. xx

Reading that from him made my day a million times better. 

What'd make it even better was if he was here. 

Me: I wish you were here. :/

I lock my phone and take out a book from my bag.

I was currently re-reading John Green's The Fault in Our Stars for the third time now.

It's hard for me to not cry, his words are just so powerful to me. I always lose it when Augustus Waters dies. 

As I am deeply focused on the story, I hear footsteps coming towards me.

I take my eyes off the book and see a pair of black converse in front of me. I look up to see Luke smiling at me. 

"Wish granted." he grins.

"LUKE!" I drop my book and throw myself at him. He had on a soft gray pullover hoodie and jeans. 

"Charlotte." he laughs, picking me up and spinning me around in circles.

"What are you doing here?" I smile the widest I've ever smiled before.

And there it is again. That feeling in my stomach.

"Well, I've missed you too. And I'm on my lunch break as well." he smiles that half-smile of his. 

I hugged him again, hoping it'd last forever. 

He takes a seat on the cold ground beside me and we start talking about our day.

"What are you afraid of?"  he suddenly asks, playing with my hands. 

I hesitate, indecisive of whether I should tell him or not. 

"I'm terrified...I'm terrified you'll find someone better than...me, to be with." I say softly, looking down at the ground.

The butterflies haven't went away in my stomach, the feeling of his touch on my hand makes me feel this tingly sensation. I can't think straight.

"You know I never will." he says, tilting my chin up to face him. 

"I hope so." I say, fiddling with my hoodie strings.