Chapter 5

"Oh my gosh." I shake my head, astonished.

"Sooo...?" he asked.

I am tempted to accept the beautiful tulips but I know it'd be so wrong. I can't forget about Tommy.

"I can't. If only you asked me sooner... Someone already asked me.." I sigh.

"Oh." was all he said.

"I'm so sorry Luke." I say meaningfully.

"No, don't worry. I understand. But either way, I still want to give you these." he smiles.

My heart breaks. How can he still be so sweet after I turned him down?

"No, I shouldn't. You should save them for your date." I say, which pained me to say. Paining me to know I wouldn't be the date. How can someone I've only known for a few weeks do this to me?

"No, take them. I want you to have them." he said, putting them in my arms.

"Thank you. These are beautiful. They're my absolute favourite, how'd you know?" I ask, smiling widely. I just couldn't help it.

"I asked your mom." he blushes.

"Oh." I smile.

Wow, he went through the trouble of calling my mom and getting these flowers for me.

I kind of wish, I could rewind and say no to Tommy. As horrible as that sounds. But I know that'd be terrible.

"So, do you want to get ice cream now?" he asks.

"What?" I ask.

"Remember when I asked you yesterday?" he asks.

Thinking back, everything was clear to me again.

The Kiss. Well, almost kiss. And how Michael ruined it.

I had a paper due, but saying no again would make me a much more terrible person than I already am. I can't turn him down twice.

"Oh right. Of course! I'll just get my purse and shoes." I say and run back into the house.

I check myself in my mirror and fix my hair.

After, I put on my shoes, lock the door and head out with Luke behind me.

***

I laugh so hard at the joke Luke just told me, my mint chocolate ice cream dribbles down my chin.

Luke started laughing at me.

I laugh as well but embarassingly wipe it off and look down.

"That's cute." he said and helped me wipe it with a napkin.

"Thanks." I blush.

"Hey, don't thank me. You helped me wipe the chocolate off at dinner before." he smirked.

I found it so incredibly sweet how he remembered the littlest things.

After we finished our ice cream which he wouldn't let me pay for, we went outside and the sun was starting to set.

"There's a place I want to show you before you leave." he says.

He took my to plain field which was in walking distance.

It was just a plain field but it was perfect in ways I can't explain.

We lay down side by side underneath the beautiful red-orange sky.

We were silent for a while, just admiring our surroundings. There was a clump of mysteriously beautiful trees in the distance, as if it'd take us to a magical world if we entered. I looked over at him and his eyes were closed. I realized then and there, I wanted to kiss him. He looked so at peace and perfect, just like the time I spent with him today. As soon as his eyes fluttered open again, I looked away.