Chapter Eight: Tell Me Who We Are

We had walked to the forest to have a “Privet” conversation. As we walked, neither of us dared to be the first one to break the silence. Even though I had questions that I was dying to ask Jacob, and I knew he had some of his own.

   We came to a clearing and I took a seat on one of the rocks, Jake on the one across from me. We just sat there, staring at each other, trying to figure out who would go first. I finally decided to make the first move, but with something easy to answer.

   “How long have you been one?”

   “A Few months.” He went on to tell me the legends of his trib. That when there were ‘Cold Ones’ near the tribe, certain families that carry the gene become shape shifters to protect the tribe. How anger can easily make a shifter change. Which explained why he was shaking earlier. Then the pack and everything else.

   He then turned to me. His hand made it’s way to the right side of my face. I won’t lie. I flinched when his thumb started to trace my scar. I looked away from his loving eyes.

   “What happened?”

   I took a deep breath. “It’s a long story.”

   “I’ll try to keep up,” He promised.

   “Well, I guess you could say I’m part of a story of revenge.” He looked at me, very confused. “*Sigh* I guess I should start at the beginning. I have two older half-brothers named Sam and Dean. We share the same dad.

   “It’s their mom where the story begins. Sam was six months old and Dean was four. Mary, Their mom, heard something in Sam’s nursery. So she went to go check on him. Five minutes later, Dad heard Sam screaming! He looked around and couldn’t fine Mary. He ran into Sam’s nursery to find her sealed to the roof and then she burst into flames.” Jake looked at me in surprise.

   “Yeah, I know it’s hard to believe. Dad got the boys out of the house and made sure they were safe. From then on, Dad became obsessed with finding the thing that killed Mary. And on his way, he and the boys killed every evil thing that crossed their paths. Ghosts, monsters, you name it, they’ve fought it.”

   “But how did you come into the picture?” Jacob asked.

   “Well, my mom, Lucy Sallem, was a photographer. She moved into a house by a set of forests. She had no idea that her new home was haunted. Dad knew though, He tried to convince her that it was haunted, and that she was in danger. She, uh, she slammed the door in his face. After all, she had just bought her dream home, and some random stranger was trying to get her to move out?

   “However, after some incidents, my mom started to worry. Things would fly across the room, she’d hear rattling, and see things out of the corner of her eye. One day things got really bad. I grotesque rotting ma was in front of her bed. She screamed as he lunged for her. She jumped out of the way and tried to run out of the door, but the ghost was suddenly in front of her again, wring his pale ghostly hand around her neck.

   “That’s when Dad busted down the door. He’d been watching her house because he knew something would happen to Mom. So he never left. He shot some salt bullets and the ghost—“

   “Why salt?” Jacob asked.

   “Well salt and iron repels ghosts and demons. However, it’s only temporary if you use it as a weapon. They come back. In order to kill or get rid of a ghost you have to salt and burn whatever they are attached to in this world. Normally it’s their bodies.

   “So while Dad was protecting my mom, Sam and Dean were trying to find the right grave. Dad grabbed an iron crowbar and stood over my mom to protect her. When the ghost recovered and charged at them again, it burst into flame. Sam and Dean had found the right grave just in time.