Chapter Five: Powers And Wolves

Driving home, each dog had occupied a seat and a window; Lenni was in the front and the two girls took up the back. When we finally drove up to my house, I got out with all three of them following close behind. I parked the car in the garage then walked through the gate. Closing it, I let them off of their leashes and they all took off to investigate while I just walked inside the house.

They soon followed me as my key set off the tumblers in the lock. The second I opened the door, they all rushed passed me and sniffed out the vicinity of the area. Kena ran upstairs, Lenni claimed the couch, but Alu stayed right by my side. I placed their food bowls (each with said dogs’ name) in the kitchen and put their food in the cabinet along with their treats.

Grrrrrrrr. Bark! Bark!

Out of reflex, I grabbed my gun from its hiding spot and ran upstairs to where I heard the barking coming from. It had to be Kena since Lenni and Alu were at my heels during the whole ordeal. We found her in the spare bedroom in a hunched position and growling dangerously. Her target was the microscope. The same exact one that I had put away last night.

I ran back down stairs to grab my EMF meter and turned it on. The dogs came back down, ears down and teeth bared. They surrounded me in a protective formation. When I looked down at the EMF meter, expecting to see some kind of reaction, I was surprised to find that there was none. Not a single reading; which meant that the rock salt in my gun was useless against the thing that had been or was still in my house.

Lenni started to growl, a low threatening snarl. I looked in the direction he was and now all the other dogs were looking. It was the sliding glass doors. On one side there was a message that appeared to be written in blood. The letters in blood dripped down the glass slowly do to gravity.

You are in our way

But what was at the other side of the door caused my brows to furrow into a glare as I raised my practically useless gun. It was the same red eyed boy from before, and he had friends with him this time. Two teenaged boys to be exact and they both had the same blood red, hungry orbs that he did. It was when the blonde boy stepped forward that I realized that the door was open!

“Take one more step and I shoot! Get the hell off of my property!” I yelled and cocked the loaded gun. The dogs growled.

He smirked and went to take another step. I didn’t hesitate at all. I shot him. I wasn’t aiming to kill him, just knock him back a bit. But I saw the rock salt make contact and burst into dust. He didn’t even flinch. However, he did smirk and sniff the air.

“Salt? What’s the point of salt bullets?” He sneered. I cocked the gun again.

“Come hunting with me sometime and you’ll find out.” I threatened. “So what are you supposed to be? You guys are ugly, but not ugly enough to be a wendigos.”

All three guys growled and poised to pounce. I raised my gun, ready for them, but something drew our attention away from each other. The harmonious howls of multiple wolves caught us off guard. My dogs howled in response. The boys looked both scared and pissed, as if the general had just canceled orders but the soldiers had already fired their guns.

Everything seemed to move in slow motion but really it only took the blink of an eye.

Two enormous wolves came crashing down the forest slope and the three guys ran away from my sliding glass doors. A third wolf, slightly smaller than the other two but still abnormally large, followed closely behind the other.

The boys took a sharp turn to the left, hardly avoiding the snapping jaws of the two largest wolves. The black wolf, who seemed to be the leader, barked out and nodded his head in my direction.