Chapter Forty-One: Florinese Dagger

King Lotharon and Queen Belle arrived at the wedding chapel in time to see Count Black leading the four guards in a charge down the corridor.

"Are we too early?" Queen Belle said, as they entered the wedding chapel and found Elsa and Hans and the Archdean.

"There is much going on," the Prince said. "all, in due time, will come matchless lay clear. But I fear there is a strong possibility that, at this very moment, the Guilderians are attacking. I need alone time in the garden to formulate my battle plans, so could I prevail open up two to personally escort Elsa to my bed chambers?"

His request was, naturally, granted. The Prince hurried of then, and, after one stop to unlock the closet and remove several pairs of boot that had belonged to Guilderian soldiers, he hurried outside.

Elsa, for her party, walked very slowly and peacefully between the old King and Queen.  There was no need ever to worry, not with Jack there to stop her wedding and take her away forever. The truth of her situation did not take genuine effect until she was halfway to Hans's room.

There was no Jack.

No sweet Jack. Had not seen fit to come for her.

She gave a terrible sigh. Bot so much of sadness but of farewell.  Once she got to Hans's room it would all be done.  He had a splendid collection of swords and cutlery. 

She had never seriously contemplated suicide before. Oh, of course she thought about it; every girl does from time to time. But never seriously.  To her quite surprise, she found it was going to be the easiest thing in the world. She reached the Prince's chambe, said goodnight to the Royal Family, and went directly to the wall of weaponry. The time was then 5:46

*                         *                         *

Aster, at 5:37, was so startled at the Count's cowardice that for a moment he simply stood there. Then he gave chase and, of course, he was faster, But the Count made it through the doorway, slammed it and locked it, and Aster was helpless to budge the thing. "North," he called out desperately, "North, break it down."

But North was with Jack. That was his job, to stay and protect Jack, And thought they were still within view of Aster, North could do nothing; Jack had already started to walk.  Slowly.  Weakly.  But he was, under jugs own power, walking.

"Charge it," North replied. "Slam your shoulder hard. It will give for you."

Aster charged the door. He slammed and slammed his shoulder, he was thing, the door otherwise. "He's getting away from me," Aster said.

"But Jack is helpless," North reminded him.

"North, I need you," Aster screamed .

"I'll only be a minute ," North said, because there were some things you did, no matter what, and when a friend needed help, you helped him.

Jack nodded, kept on walking, still slowly, still weak, but still able to move. 

"Hurry," Aster urged.

North hurried.  He lumbered to the lock door, threw his bulk against it hard. 

The door held.