Twenty Nine

Once upon a time there was a fairy princess. She was adored by all and the most beautiful in all the magical kingdoms. One day she met a handsome prince and they lived happily ever after...

This was obviously not that story. Rene's story was far darker than any fairy tale told to children at night. Her story didn't start with once upon a time; perhaps it was once upon a madness or twice upon a dragon. Regardless of the beginning, the story had been spun and building up to this moment that much had become increasingly obvious to her with each step. It was a tale of twisted darkness that would do the Grimm Brothers proud. The magical, happy kingdom was nonexistent. In fact, the lovely setting was as far from one as possible, because who wanted a silly old castle when one could have an asylum. There was no evil step mother, but there was definitely one unhinged mother that had played her part in directing the tale. Instead of a handsome prince charming, she was stuck with a delinquent pyro and his stupid smirk. She had two knights in shining standardized guard boots that matched so nicely with their security uniforms. They had ridden in on the trails of her insanity to save the day, even if one had pulled a Sleeping Beauty and was currently unconscious. She supposed that made Danny and Cassie the prince and princess in need of recusing. Throw in a couple all powerful dragons, a drug-pushing doctor with the mean to revile a witch, a deer spirit, and an ominous king and the story was almost complete. At least Rene hoped, she could only handle so many plot twists in one day. Finally the so deemed heroine, Rene...yeah she still had trouble believing that one, was a sarcastic troublemaker with ink and madness to spare. Well, if one could say anything about Rene it was that her memoir would not be boring.

The set of twin swords in her hand were diminishing in their pale blue glow and cold breath of winter. She turned them this way and that, trying to figure out what had happened. She had been about to use them on Miss Rachel's door when she noticed the difference. The edges on them seemed less sharp, as though they were melting in her hands. A drip fell to the ground startling her. Rene leaned over to see a small blob of ink now settled on the ground. The swords were deforming in her hands.

Fledging put them back if you want them to remain within your arsenal. Karo rumbled.

With a frown, Rene flipped both of them back towards her shoulder. A light feather of a touch was all it took for them to disappear back into her skin. Why the crap did Karo have to bite her then? She rubbed her shoulder feeling the cold sink deep into her body and radiate away into nothing. She really needed to figure out all these rules with the tattoos. Having them turn into inky blobs on her was not only inconvenient, it was just plain ridiculous. Stupid rules. Lora and Michael finally caught up. She had raced ahead to scout the route, well that and she had wanted first crack at Miss Rachel.

Changing tactics, Rene raised her foot for a side-kick to Miss Rachel's shut door. She was pretty sure she could splinter the stupid white faded thing with enough force.

"Sparky, I think you may have anger issues."

"Why do you say that?" Rene frowned, still holding her leg up.

"I don't know," Michael helped Lora set Declan down against the opposite wall. "Could have something to do with the fact you are always kicking down doors. Ever heard of a door knob?"

"Sure, take all the fun out of it."

"No, that's my job." Lora pushed past her, sending Rene reeling as she struggled to regain her balance.

With her foot solidly back on the ground, her and Michael leaned over to peek in cautiously. However, Lora had taken up position square in the door frame as though to guard them from the horrors with her small body. She had braced her arms out in the frame and had her feet shoulder width apart. Michael grumbled about missing the good stuff, while Rene suppressed the urge to hit him.